Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 07-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
WoTmud?

What happened to Wotmud.org? This was my first mud but I can't seem to connect or find anything current about it.

Kind of be nice to revisit and remember...
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
Re: WoTmud?

Appreciate the help!

I see that this game hovers around 25th or so on the list, so plenty of traffic to this site, but not a single response.

Great community.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Elsalvador

Home MUD: www.avalon-rpg.com
Home MUD: Avalon-rpg.com
Elsalvador is on a distinguished road

I figured WotMUD was still going, but I couldn't connect to it either. I personally found it very difficult to get into after more intuitive commandset muds with equip-retention and whatnot.

Still a huge HUGE fan of the WoT universe though; if you ever feel like chatting about it then hit me up!
Elsalvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
UnknownK

UnknownK is on a distinguished road

To the best of my knowledge, WoTMUD experienced the same sort of thing that usually takes down long-run MUDs: drama and hosting issues. The site and game have been down for at least two months now, and that's just with what little I've noticed during regular voting.

I was never a player there. My Wheel of Time MUD of choice is Prophecies of the Pattern- which is still actively developed and built upon after ten years under that name.
UnknownK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Elsalvador

I'm surprised that WotMud hasn't come back up yet; wasn't that directly supported by RJ and consequently I'd assume Harriet would be supporting it posthumously. Guess not.

I've tried pretty much all the Wheel of time related MUDs and just can't really find one that manages to blend an immersive Jordanesque world with good mechanics and gameplay. Avalon (see my sig) is more of a Tolkienesque world but manages to capture that fantasy setting AND combine it with strong gameplay mechanics.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Vivienne_WoT

Vivienne_WoT is on a distinguished road

Hi guys! Vivienne from Wheel of Time MUD here, to bring you up to date on what's really happening!

About three months ago we had a denial of service attack, where someone was also trying to access all our user data, passwords, etc. They tried to do it through our separate website, so there was never any compromised game data, by the way. Anyway, when we saw what was happening, we took the entire system offline because it was a complete barrage of nuisance. While we were reviewing the data integrity we saw a couple issues, which considering we've been online for 20 years give or take, were to be expected. Flash and I had a chat and we decided to take everything offline, including making the IP address appear "dead", so we could fix those issues. In the process we decided "What the heck, we're offline, we've wanted to do some upgrades, let's just go to WoTmud V!"

We've purchased two new servers that we have complete physical control over, and they've been configured the way we want them to be. As of yesterday we're doing some back-end testing.

As you can imagine, when Wheel of Time MUD started it was the labor of a bunch of college students. 20 years later, we've all got spouses, mortgages, kids, lives, businesses, etc. I wish we had the ability to dedicate as much time as we could two decades ago, but life gets in the way, and we'd rather put back up something that stands up to time instead of something that we slap together just for the sake of being online.

We have a that you're welcome to check. At last glance we have over 200 players participating there. As I have time I'm also doing twitch episodes and the occasional tweet, but Facebook seems to be the media that our players gravitate towards most.

No worries - we're not dead, we're not gone, and we'll be back online as soon as we're comfortable with the security and game stability!

Less than three,

Vivienne
Vivienne_WoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Every month you're offline, you should plan to permanently lose between a quarter and half of your userbase.

It doesn't matter why you're offline; it doesn't matter why it was necessary. What matters is that people forget and find other games, and won't come back when you're done. Being offline for any reason is a bad situation.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Elsalvador

It is a bad situation but I don't think nearly as drastic as you make it out to be. If the MUD is good enough and players are sufficiently invested and loyal to that MUD, I expect they'd come flooding back as soon as it was up and running again.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Vivienne_WoT

While attrition is a concern, I'm not that worried about it given the activity of the playerbase on our Facebook page, the hits on our twitch channels, the number of podcast downloads, etc. that we track. I'm fairly certain that those involved with us via social media will come back in once I send out the grand re-opening signal, if they've somehow missed seeing it directly. Our playerbase has its own pocket societies as well, with their own offsite chat rooms, Skype circles, etc. and when I drop in on them on any given day I see 6-15 people in there and talking. We have some pretty personal bonds with our players, with live in-person events, meetings, etc. across the country. Heck, I've even had some of our players to my home as they've been traveling, etc. Anyway, since I'm interacting with them every day, several times a day, via social media (and they're interacting back not just with me but also with each other!) I'd say that's the key to base retention. Plus I'm sure that with the new features we had in beta before this, and scheduled to go for rollout with the reopening, we're going to see a higher return of players who went astray when word gets out what we did.

But that's really far afield of the OP, which I was happy to come in and answer. No worries, we'll be back. We do this for fun, and fun is what we're going to have when Wheel of Time MUD is back online!

Less than three,

Vivienne
Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Mhaliah

Mhaliah is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: WoTmud?

WoT mud to rule them all,
WoT mud to find them,

WoT mud to bring them all
and in it's shadow bind them.

Mhaliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Vivienne_WoT

We're making some awesome progress in getting back online in Classic mode, which would be the game map circa 2000, with some adaptations. We thought it would be fun to let our established players do a "blast from the past" time before re-opening fully. Flash and I are discussing opening day placement, because we both have a ton of things scheduled in real life that we can't blow off (because you don't blow off family, you know!), but I really don't think we're going to miss our traditional Holly-Daze promotion, or even our Jak o' the Shadows shenanigans. I'm actually on the short countdown right now!

Less than three,

Vivienne
Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
SlySven

Home MUD: WoTMUD
SlySven is on a distinguished road

2000 era - that'd be before Seanchan continent appeared {and subsequently did an Atlantian manoeuvre } yes?

I'm missing your relentlessly robust rhyming ramblings "Auntie Viv", please can you give an indication of if/when WoTMUD will be back? The fact that is now dead rather than showing a WoT themed "test card" is very worrying to those of us wanting to return - and as some of us decline to expose ourselves on social networks like facepalmbook or tweeter, links to them are not much use.

SlySven
a.k.a. Jomin al'Bara - Tower Accepted
also now a coder.

P.S. Ironically enough it is Vivienne_WoT's posting here that drew me to sign up - am I sad or what?

P.P.S. to the OP on another thread that I linked to this one: the Late James Oliver Rigney a.k.a. Robert Jordan {R.I.P.} gave Flash and the three other WoTMUD written permission to use the WoT world setting and non-major Characters - which, given the "cease and desist" actions that some other book authors adopt toward MUD creators reproducing their work is what gives WoTMUD it's "Official" tag. I don't believe that Harriet, his widow would have any on-going interaction with the WoTMUD Creators or Immortals but since I'm not one I wouldn't know. And as for Flash being MIA that is not entirely fair IMHO as WoTMUD was created around twenty years ago now and since then he/she (? - Like the Great A'Tuin the space turtle in T. Prachett's Diskworld, it is not entirely clear about gender to mere mortals) has probably managed to "got a life".
SlySven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Sintor

Sintor is on a distinguished road

Hell, Flash had a life when we were in beta, he's probably busy with AARP stuff by now. Mournblade and Zun though, who knows! Still the best PK I've ever had on a round-based MUD.

-Mog/Mogg/Stinkmog/Saarlamen/Gristand/Half of Bootsy/Sintor
Sintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
Vivienne_WoT

Actually, we are up and enjoying some very robust pk as I type this.

game.wotmud.org port 2224

Less than three,

Vivienne
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
SlySven

Home MUD: WoTMUD
SlySven is on a distinguished road

Well then let me slip on my Rainbow-Banded White dress and my Great Serpent Ring and I see you all (well Light siders) at the Tar Valon Central Square...
SlySven is offline   Reply With Quote