Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 04-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I was disappointed by the most recent article on Backstage.  I'm a fan of the series, and think it's one of the better features on this site, but the most recent article read more like an advertisement for Brody's games than anything else.  It's a sharp contrast to "The Walls Have Eyes", which discussed privacy issues that the general audience could benefit from being exposed to.

I understand that as an essayist you often have to draw on personal experience to make the abstract concrete.  However, Brody suffocates his avowed topic with digressions that are only applicable to his own game, all the while pausing to heap praise on his creations.  I'm all for advertising, but I'd appreciate if it was kept to the appropriate forums.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
Mason

Mason is on a distinguished road
I agree. It does seem to be a rather long advertisement for his game Moreover, I'm not sure that it really offers anything new - as what constitutes proper role-playing has been debated endlessly on these forums.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I believe I've said from the outset with the Backstage column that I would be drawing a lot from my own experiences.

The most recent column, "Bringing It Down A Notch," was intended as an examination of motives and ideals, of dream versus reality, and trying to balance the two. In retrospect, it could always benefit from a paragraph saying, in summary: If you plan to run your own game, consider your audience and develop around that.

Backstage is just that: A look behind-the-scenes at being a game operator. I will often relate it via my own experiences.

That said: I'll certainly endeavor to present it better next time around. Thanks for reading!
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote

Re: New Article: Bringing it Down a Notch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bringing the funny Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 9 08-23-2007 04:56 AM
Bringing things into light Xorith Tavern of the Blue Hand 16 02-08-2004 10:54 PM
great article I once saw, help?! nass MUD Administration 1 09-16-2003 12:47 PM
New Article: Bringing it Down a Notch imported_Synozeer MUD Announcements 0 04-15-2003 09:35 AM
Bringing men to the game.... Alaire Tavern of the Blue Hand 18 06-06-2002 06:24 PM