Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 07-16-2002, 10:30 PM   #21

Could you elaborate on your user interface?
How do you handle facing?  Or player motion?  
Can players be set in motion towards some landmark?
Old 07-17-2002, 12:40 AM   #22
wedsaz

wedsaz is on a distinguished road
wedsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 05:38 AM   #23
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:52 PM   #24
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
Add a 'head' command, allowing you to continue to move in a particular direction until you no longer can (or azimuth, such as head northeast or head 270 degrees).

I'd suggest, for intuitivity, that you have commands for the paces as well as a pace-setting command, so someone could do "run north" or "pace north" and then "run".

With our new engine, we are creating an analogous command interpreter - it will attempt to determine the command(s) you wish to do based on the construct of your sentence, rather than require you input your command in a specific format. One of the things this does is recognize the paces and change to them automatically. You may want to consider a similar approach, if you're not already.

Movement should be intricately linked with combat, in my opinion - all current paradigms restrict combat to the room or area in which it began, and this is not how it should be. Allow for the participants to set specifics about themselves (if the pressed, retreat or stand ground? If opponent retreats, do we press the advantage or hold back?), and then let combat meander as needed. If done properly, one could use objects and terrain in the area to ones advantage. I don't know if this is putting too much depth into it, but it would be great to fight in the dark and have your opponent trip over the caltrops you've strewn through the area.

With ranged combat, allow for misses to possibly strike others in the surrounding area. If someone passes through the trajectory of an object, perhaps it will hit them, or they will deflect it enough to where it misses its target.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 06:26 AM   #25
KaVir
Legend

Old 07-23-2002, 02:25 PM   #26
mhc

mhc is on a distinguished road
mhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:06 PM   #27
Robbert

Additionally, if you track locations of *thing relative to other *things in the area, little work is necessary to extrapolate the information for the player(s) - work recursively based on the closest thing to them, and continue until they can no longer see based on other things in the area.

(Edit) - This works for sound as well as sight, and the theory is the same. Working from a known reference otuward makes much more sense, in terms of intensity, than taking a mass of things and checking each one to see if it is visible/audible to the character. And it allows for neat additions such as poor eyesight or hearing, and their reverse. (/edit)

Our system of location is based upon inheritance; you can be literally be in a forest and see the trees, or move to a particular copse/meadow/field that has been created within it. This allows for the world creators to give as much or as little detail as necessary. So a City could be visible from the forest, but the individual buildings of it need not be apparent until one is outside a gate of that city, or within it itself.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:25 AM   #28
Kastagaar

Kastagaar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kastagaar
Surely the simple case would be to determine what distance is considered "near" and list all items that space, which is O(n).

Kas.
Kastagaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 09:26 AM   #29
mhc

mhc is on a distinguished road
Only of you only have one player.
mhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 09:55 AM   #30
Loriel

Loriel is on a distinguished road
If the problem is 'finding items near a specified player', I believe it is O(n) where n is number of items.

If the problem is 'finding items near each player' I believe it is O(p*n), where p is number of players and n is number of items.
In that sense, it might be roughly O(n*n) where n is number of players.

Finding players near each player would be O(n*n), where n is number of players.
Loriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:27 PM   #31
Robbert

Old 07-25-2002, 02:52 PM   #32
Loriel

Loriel is on a distinguished road
I think I failed to make my point clear - I was supporting your (Robbert's) proposition that the basic algorithm would be O(n), before further improvements.

The only circumstance I can see where the O(n*n) would apply is the one I quote above, finding number of players near each player.

You could look at one 'game loop' in this context, where you might need to construct n 'player views', each of O(n) approx, so the complete game loop computation is O(n*n), though even in this case I think O(n*p) is a better value.

As you said, there are various improvements that would reduce this in practice.
For example, if we have found when constructing Frank's view that Frank is near Ruprecht, we know when constructing Ruprecht's view that Ruprecht is near Frank and don't need to calculate it again .
Similarly if Frank is near Ruprecht, and Ruprecht is near Wilhelmina, we know that Wilhelmina is at least 'fairly near' to Frank, though we may need to refine that.
Loriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:32 PM   #33
Alexei

Alexei is on a distinguished road
TopMudSites.

Last edited by Alexei : 11-17-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 06:40 PM   #34
Raghar

Raghar is on a distinguished road
Hello boys I'm doing some very hard and complex simulation and I found this topic very interesting. Basicaly I simplified seeking of targets to something like 3D room and I wanna know if there is better and FASTER way to do this. I do probably have two problems big list for seeking and considering of what data I would need.
Could you post some links?

It's strange I do RPG Strategy Simulation and I found lots of interesting problems here, and not on the graphical/ game servers. Probably becose I have similar problems like muds but for different reasons. At least most of them are different.
Raghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #35
Hersir

Hersir is on a distinguished road
Re: Can MUDs implement range/distance?

This game is a recent browser/C# remake of a MUD that had a coordinate system/text map, and a sandbox style (players make everything) back before anything else did in the 90s.

Hersir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
KaVir
Legend

You necro'd a 10-year-old discussion thread so that you could post a random promotion, on a board that explicitly asks you not to post promotions?

And no, your game was not the first to implement those features.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #37
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road

At least he necro'd an interesting thread.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #38
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

Ok, so a few thoughts on this.

Firstly, godwars2 does this. Go look at it for a good example which is running still.

Secondly, there's a harder, but less processor intensive way of finding near objects. I forget what this is called--I'm not smart enough to have come up with it--and a lot of 3d engines use it:

The world is a quadrant forming the first node of a tree.
Divide the world into some number of quadrants--9 works well--and make them the next set of nodes in the tree.
Keep dividing until you get to the desired resolution.

To find an object in the same area as a player, you simply walk up the tree to the desired resolution and get the list from that. You can do that by finding all leaf nodes below the desired resolutional node (new term!), or you can sacrifice memory and store each object in all nodes containing it...so, the world node gets all objects.

If someone can remember what this is called, it'd be a help--I'm bad at explaining it.

Also, you can divide up the world into "regions" or "maps" or what-have-you, making the two lists in the o(p*n) algorithm smaller--p is the limit in each map and n the number of objects in that map. Should help anyway.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #39
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing quad trees camlorn, but I think there use is more typically for representing very large worlds than line of sight calculations.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

Heh, well, it doesn't much matter. I didn't realize this topic spanned two pages and was replying to the old part from however long ago. Only just now realized that this was necroed for a random promotion and that I wasn't reading the latest post.

Oopse.

I think oct-trees are what I was talking about--might also be called quad-trees, I really don't know.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Can MUDs implement range/distance? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old muds makila Tavern of the Blue Hand 13 06-08-2012 05:13 AM
Looking for RP MUDs Almondine War Advertising for Players 13 10-22-2005 02:07 PM
how to implement a class? UnKnOwN1205 MUD Coding 2 01-03-2005 07:09 PM
Top 20 muds Cayn Tavern of the Blue Hand 141 08-25-2004 12:30 PM
Any Muds? Asalyt Advertising for Players 6 03-10-2004 09:10 PM