Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
TerXIII

TerXIII is on a distinguished road
Community survey: What do MUD players want?

Hello community, I'm relatively new here, so forgive me if I'm a little... new.

Anyway, I've been working on a text-based MUD codebase for the last week or so with some immense progress. Thanks to C#, I've managed to set up a wonderfully simple client/server architecture, and have a completed parser as well as a simplistic built-in scripting language I've developed from scratch. From here, it's starting to look like feature implementation is going to be the next step, once the event handling sections of code are complete.

I'm interested in what the community is looking for from a MUD. I've played a few, but I wouldn't say I had extensive experience, so I'm trying to avoid common pitfalls in new text-based MUDs by looking into what the community thinks about certain features, lest I manage to write a flawed system from the get-go.

My girlfriend, and my two closest friends are working out the world and the plot elements over time, and have a fairly vivid world down on paper.

We're still somewhat unsure about the actual combat mechanics, and the faction missions themselves, and how they should function.

We want to implement many of the features that came into Online Games after the MUD era that the MUD era seems to have ignored completely.

Among these:

- A party system that will allow players to move in unison with the group leader, or to break off from the leader to split up a bit.
- Combat engine that implements ranged combat and mounted combat using a system of arbitrary coordinates that will permit some semblance of charging, disengaging, flanking, and other forms of combat mobility.
- A branching class system, allowing players to specialize or diversify their skills, and customize their character type to their liking without the choices being too wildly diverse.
- Experience system based on skill usage, rather than completely based on killing mobs.
- Reputations and factions, allowing players to work alongside NPC factions, and progress story arcs developed by the administrators.
- Dynamic quests, allowing for administrative design and randomly generated quests, as well as player-oriented quests/missions.
- Player-centric economy with NPC interaction into the trade and value of goods.
- Minimal simulation, utilizing probability clouds to give the players the feeling of simulation.
- Phasing content alongside global content, allowing players to unlock single-player zones, and letting zones change over time, both for the singular player, and for the entire world.
- Semi-roomless design. Rooms will be given coordinates along three axes of a plane, and linked to nodes and hubs. using arbitrary links in a descriptive manner. Towns will be linked by roads and pavilions, and physical structures consisting of rooms liked by corridors and portals (doors). Areas outside of town will utilize roads for easy travel, and leaving the road will place the player in the wilderness. Wilderness will be navigated by area-based nodes, and terrain will weigh into travel time, or even be physical obstacles. Outdoors areas will be very unlike indoor areas.
- Non-combat professions and missions. Players should be able to interact with in-game industries. Won't say much on this.
- One-time and repeatable versions of dungeons.

In addition, we're trying to drop the playable races down to one. The reason for this, is that I've seen far too many MUDs attempt to increase player customization by increasing the number of races and class combinations, rather than allowing for actual player customization. I'd much rather see players step into a role they understand, and be able to customize their character to a much more extreme level than I would be able to implement with multiple races.

Classes again, are going to be reduced at start to one. Players will customize their character through a tutorial process, rather than before they start playing. In order to select a class, they will have to work on the starting class, and then select the next class they will progress into via a series of choices and quests.

Again, if anybody has any suggestions for what they want to see in a modern MUD, I'm all ears, and for any discussion on the ideas above.

Thanks in advance.
TerXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Erisine

Erisine is on a distinguished road
Re: Community survey: What do MUD players want?

Hi Ter!

Well, the first bit of advice that I would offer would be to think about what KIND of players that you want on your game. "MUD players" is very broad -- merely look around the design and administrative topics to find that our community is drastically split on what folks consider "essential features" based what they like to play (RPIs, RP-enforced, PvP, Group-Based, etc). It would seem like you're maybe wanting to go with the "fun, sexy, and very casual" group-style.

- Races
I applaud you in your efforts to drop your race number down to one; that said, I'm not sure that this actually appeals to a lot of players outside of the "hardcore RP" arena. A lot of people enjoy multiple races, not because of "more class options" but because it's just plain fun to run around as something that isn't human.

Since you want to allow players to customize their characters in much more meaningful way, perhaps you could design extra races that had drastically different play-styles and playability. Everyone knows what running around as your generic biped means -- you get all the same basic equipment slots, same combat mechanics, etc -- and the only difference are some racial abilities and such. You could spice this up by making the game-world's feel totally unique to a different race.

- Player Rewards
You cannot go wrong with achievements. They don't technically even have to do all that much. A similar system to what I'm suggesting has been adopted by a lot of the popular MMO's now -- in that you can perform some difficult task and get a badge, or some related mechanical award or something. What I DO suggest you do, though, is avoid "grinding awards", and instead work on stuff that will encourage players to try all the different facets of your game.

- Advanced Client Functions
You may want to consider whether you want to have a "custom client" such as through Flash, or if you want to work with your community to provide easy-to-set-up modules for popular game clients (MUSHClient seems to be ruling the roost, now). I've grown fond of games that will allow me to click on words that will automatically bring up in-game information on them (especially great if you're having players look at lots of different items), or will launch external links. If you are going to allow game mapping, you could also provide visual interactive overhead maps, or set of a semi-graphical interface.

Are you going to allow levels? If so, avoid bunching up content at the top.
Erisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

There are a few resources you should know about if you don't already:

by Richard Bartle

My #1 request for any new mud server is to implement MSSP (for compatibility with crawlers), MSDP (for client customization with mushclient, mudlet, and Decaf), MCCP (for bandwidth savings for mobile clients), and MXP (for easy in-game hyperlinks).
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

The features you describe have all been implemented in various muds over the years (except perhaps the "probability clouds" thing, but there have been other muds with physics engines and such). So if you're not quite sure how you want a particular feature to work, there will certainly be working examples you can look at and/or read about in detail. The links provided by Ide are definitely a good place to start.

However a mud is more than just the sum of its features. It's essential to have a clear vision at the heart of your design - the glue that holds everything else together.

I used to share that view, ...
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
TerXIII

I'm actually trying to go for a more role-play strongly encouraged demographic, while providing incentives for players accustomed to later MMOs to give the MUD style a spin.

This is all good and great, but I think the reason I'm steering away from multiple playable races, is that I find the idea of inter-species cooperation to be somewhat improbable, and for inter-racial (Elf to dwarf, dwarf to human) cooperation to somewhat rare. I think in the beginning, we're going to start with one race (proto-humans) until we can get an acceptable amount of content built up for players to encounter. The problem with dividing up players into racial groups is that the way our world is structured (racial mixing is discouraged), we would have to generate increasingly greater amounts of content for each story arc.

Eventually, we're going to work our way up to character templates, allowing cross-racial character customization through actual in-game interactions, such as syndrome-based character templates, magical blendings, etc. This will allow rare players to become vampires, liches, or some other form of construct or afflicted.

There is always the possibility of allowing players to be one of the other sentient races in the game, but again, sentience is almost completely limited to proto-humans and their subraces in our world. This creates a significant hurdle to the implementation of multiple playable races in the game, and in my opinion, implementation of multiple races will tend to distract from the other methods of character customization that we plan to have available. We have also not witnessed races significantly changing a character's playstyle, as you mentioned, the generic biped really seems to be the default for most MUDs.

We're attempting to introduce factions and affiliations, so that players can progress through the ranks of NPC factions by completing quests, hunting down mobs, etc. We're planning to do this quite differently from how MMOs handle it, though, and are really attempting to implement it more the way the Elder Scrolls games have handled it.

We have been experimenting with a flash application to act as a visual map alongside whatever telnet client we've been using. I personally, have always used PUTTY. We may end up looking into another client, though, once the basics are complete.

[/quote]

I'm trying to avoid levels, and instead handle "levels" semi-arbitrarily. I'm trying to handle classes by a fluid web of skills, allowing players to select their next focus, which will lock and unlock other areas of focus, and essentially tunnel them into a line of specialization based on their play style. This gives players no realistic way to assess their skills except by progression through the world and quest lines. This will make for a much more vibrant world, I believe, forcing players to focus on their personal goals, rather than gaining the next level, or watching experience points accumulate.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough

Anything that doesn't heavily utilize dynamic description generation and meaningful game physics is a waste of time in my opinion. If you got mad skills I'd suggest grabbing a 3d graphical physics engine and building a dynamic description generator as an alternative front end.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Pymeus

Home MUD: tharel.net
Pymeus is on a distinguished road

I guess it depends on the game. I used to believe that players would blast past the low level stuff and then ignore it. But at AU I find that we have a wide spectrum of player levels, and even many long-time players that are perfectly happy living at level 15, ignoring the latter 85 levels of character advancement plus much of the related game content.

I myself have never heroed a character in over 8 years of playing.
Pymeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Hello Ter.

Let me see what I can come up with on this

- A party system that will allow players to move in unison with the group leader, or to break off from the leader to split up a bit.

This would be the @Follow <XXX> command, which you'll find in Skotos.net games (where my experience lies). To move away from a person, or split off, just type @Stop Following or @Elude <XXX>. After that, the character moves on their own.

- Combat engine that implements ranged combat and mounted combat using a system of arbitrary coordinates that will permit some semblance of charging, disengaging, flanking, and other forms of combat mobility.

Most Combat is Turn-Based with Consent. While Sir Soandso wnats to charge up upon you on his Horse, you have to consent to it. This also causes problem as you may not want Sir Soandso charging at you on his Horse, for some stupid reason or another, but this can be gotten around with Auto-Consent applied to an area. So, Sir Soandso charges up on his Horse, dismounts (or not) and starts attacking you because you're within that area of consent. Sir Soandso's actions (charge, dismounting, attak) can be done with Macros that are keyed to whatever keyboard code the player uses.

- A branching class system, allowing players to specialize or diversify their skills, and customize their character type to their liking without the choices being too wildly diverse

In Eternea, a game which I'm helping to build, we'll hopeing for the same thing. Medicen will require an understanding of Science and Chemestry (I've forgotten what the Mideval term was). Stonemasiontry will requite an understamding of Engineering. In Ironclaw, you'll find that when you start learning one skill you have now aquired two or three more skills (Example; learning Merchant, will also give you Apprase and Haggle skills that you can develope seperately). You'll need to decide which skills can form the foundation of other skills, or can be associalted with them. I have several Table-Top Gaming books that helps me with this, some are very good at breaking down skills in this manner.

- Experience system based on skill usage, rather than completely based on killing mobs.

This should be too hard to do, just arrange your system to work on skills than killing.

- Reputations and factions, allowing players to work alongside NPC factions, and progress story arcs developed by the administrators.
- Dynamic quests, allowing for administrative design and randomly generated quests, as well as player-oriented quests/missions.

These two questions have the same answer in my opinion; establish a writer's adventure format for both staff and players indicating what you want to see occuring in any adventure. Its always best to try to include as many people as possible in any adventure, for you will link your player community together while making all your players feel that they are contributing to the overall health (and exsistance) of your Game.

- Player-centric economy with NPC interaction into the trade and value of goods.

In Marrach, everything was basicly free but what you could get depended upon your 'Link' on the Great Chain (if it was high you got the nicer things). In Ironclaw, you have money that you can earn as a House Stripen or through manufacturing goods--even catching fish. Eternea will use a Barter system for goods and services, which is being worked on right now.

- Minimal simulation, utilizing probability clouds to give the players the feeling of simulation.

I don't understand what this is. You'll need to explaine it better.

- Phasing content alongside global content, allowing players to unlock single-player zones, and letting zones change over time, both for the singular player, and for the entire world.

This I believe already occurs in may MUD games. And its very easy to work, just use a timed program to cause the change to occur--which works especially well with Seasonal Change.

- Semi-roomless design. Rooms will be given coordinates along three axes of a plane, and linked to nodes and hubs. using arbitrary links in a descriptive manner. Towns will be linked by roads and pavilions, and physical structures consisting of rooms liked by corridors and portals (doors). Areas outside of town will utilize roads for easy travel, and leaving the road will place the player in the wilderness. Wilderness will be navigated by area-based nodes, and terrain will weigh into travel time, or even be physical obstacles. Outdoors areas will be very unlike indoor areas.

This is used in a good number of MUD's already. What matters is the amount of Harddrive space your game's going to be on, and from this it sounds like a lot of HD space.

- Non-combat professions and missions. Players should be able to interact with in-game industries. Won't say much on this.
- One-time and repeatable versions of dungeons.

These are cool.
In closeing, do understand (which you do) that not eveybody wants to be the sword wielding hero--unlike Marrach where your going to be one weiter you like it or not--especially if your character is male. Just make sure the players, as Players and as Characters, do understand this to avoid arguements. Players should play for their own enjoyment, not for the deliberate enjoyment of others--you don't need any ego trippers trying to pull the strings of the other players in the effort to make them better people.

But most importantly of all: keep your players happy, allow no drama, and hope you're able to build an impartical staff

And good luck.

Darren Brimhall

Last edited by Darren Brimhall : 07-15-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Will

Will is on a distinguished road

I used to get caught up in making sure that everything I put into my virtual world was "realistic" and "good for the game." Then a really smart guy advised me that unless I was making additions and changes with fun for the players foremost in my mind, what was point?

In my opinion, success depends less upon the features that you include and more on how well you implement them. You can write the most comlex, ingenious, realistic mechanics in the world, but if they don't make playing fun, who cares? It's much more important that game mechanics bring players together and allow them to create and compete in emergent and interesting ways than it is for game mechanics to simulate reality.

I love this, but I think you need to be really careful. Forcing players to go through a tutorial can be tricky. I've seen it done various ways and have disconnected in the middle a couple of times because the process just got too long and tedious.

It sounds like you have lots of great stuff planned. I look forward to seeing it.

Good luck!
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

You seem confused as to how MCCP works. It saves the server the game is running on bandwidth, not the player.

My MUD using MCCP does not save you bandwidth if you connect to it. It saves me bandwidth if you connect to it.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

My response was based on this thread:

A quote from it:

Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
KaVir
Legend

The savings (obviously) apply to both, because less data is being passed between them.

This is generally only important if your bandwidth is restricted in some way. The usual example is if your hosting costs are based on bandwidth usage, in which case MCCP can help reduce them significantly.

But mobile phones also have limited bandwidth, and I'm always hitting my 200mb limit. :

"Here's the same player again over a period of exactly 2.5 hours (9000 seconds).

3945900 bytes, compressed to 467928 bytes. That's 438.4 bytes per second, compressed to 60 bytes per second. It would take 132.9 hours to reach 200mb, or 1120.4 hours using compression.
"

That's a pretty significant saving.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #13
TerXIII

This doesn't make any sense at all.

If it saves the server bandwidth, as in upstream, it saves the client bandwidth, as in downstream.

What it does not save, is the server bandwidth on the downstream, therefore, it does not save the client bandwidth on upstream.

As for progress on the MUD, I've been playing around with some code that allows me to implement something like a scripting engine. I've implemented a simple MYSQL database structure, and included a database table to store scripted behaviors. These scripts are actually uncompiled C# code, and using .Net recompilers, I can compile it at runtime and execute the code. Unfortunately, I planned on implementing a custom scripting language of sorts, so I have to fully reconstruct my codebase to allow for the entire logical engine structure to be included in a linked library, rather than in the executable, that way I can segment out what portions of the engine the scripting layer can manipulate and interact with...

Last edited by TerXIII : 08-05-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #14
Genesis

Genesis is on a distinguished road

A couple thoughts on this before bed.

I strongly agree with this, even coming personally from the aforementioned "hardcore RP arena" category. If given the choice of two identical MUDs where the only difference is one has multiple races where the other does not, I will usually favour the option with multiple races.

That said, quality of races should be considered over quantity. One of the biggest turn offs for a MUD or any roleplaying game with multiple races is the fact that you will always get players who are, essentially, kids (or childish adults >_>). It pains me every time I see some newb roll a "pretty" race like an elf essentially only because they want to be Legolas, and then play the character totally in contrast to the fundamental lore and culture of the race they selected.

I've seen MUDs in the past where one only had a generic race they could choose to play for their first character, and then after so many weeks/months of playing, and after the character had become familiar with the game's lore, the option to roll additional races would present itself. My experience however stems mostly from highly RP intensive MUDs where race is choosen based on the personality and story you want for the character, not for inherent "starting stats" or "class options" or the like.

Which brings me to my next point.

Game background and story. Reading over the OP this is clearly a more achievement based MUD than an RP intensive one, and so this probably isn't so relevant but there it is nonetheless.

Good luck with your game, wherever it takes you.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

This whole 'generic races' issue is one of the reasons I've resisted adding races to Alter Aeon for the past fifteen years. If I'm going to add elves, they better be sufficiently unique and interesting that being the race is meaningful and has a real impact on gameplay. I honestly never saw the point in having fifteen different races when in most cases it didn't even change your ground string.

It also bugs me that traditionally incompatible races would happily occupy the same central cities without trouble. I somehow doubt I'll create races like troll given that our mythos makes them generally incompatible with cities.

-dentin
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #16
TerXIII

This is precisely my thought process on the matter. We've got three sentient races in the game, and since we're post-apocalyptic high fantasy, we've decided that elves and dwarves are evolved from proto-humans, while the current incarnation of humans are actually crossbreeds between the two species.

The other races are a result of the two sorts of radiation spread about the planet, arcane radiation (magic), and the metal the dwarves harness as a power source for their technology.

We've opted to make the sub-sentient races somewhat fractured, and not actually get involved in politics at all. For the most part, we're sticking to tribal/feudal societies for the orcs, goblins, kobolds, and trolls, but we still don't like the idea of these races really being anything more than advanced critters that occasionally raid villages and hamlets. We also don't like the idea of them having a widely "known" language.

I'm overly pessimistic about the idea of difference species being able to interact prosperously. I'm especially pessimistic about the idea of a shared morality or code of ethics. This makes for some interesting gameplay, seeing as you are going to be interacting with creatures whose morals and ethics are entirely different from your culture. For instance, Elves see little problem with the hunting and eating of other sentient creatures they view as "lesser", whereas dwarves have a structure of businessmen in their society, whom you may consider to be morally bankrupt, however, they do indeed have their own moral codes and rules. Lying, cheating, stealing, and assassination are no problem, so long as it is in the greater good of their particular faction.

It's minor foibles like this that I see becoming entertaining, and if I allow other players to take on these roles, rather than forcing them to be humans, there will be human systems of morality at play, and as such, I cannot trust players to act like dwarves or elves naturally would.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #17
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

This is one reason NWA is working on a specific method of game play for Blackberry/IPOD users (we call Tplay). While you will in fact lose alot of the robustness and rich environment of the game under these limitations, at lease you will be able to play with a faster, more efficient functionality that will never run over your bandwidth limits without any compression. The ratio is about 50 to 1 rather than 10 to 1 or 4 to 1 with compression algorythms.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #18
KaVir
Legend

The two aren't mutually exclusive; if you've reduced bandwidth usage to 2% without compression, then it should be around 0.1%-0.2% with compression.

However I'm struggling to see how you could make such a saving. If a 5-line room description is around 400 characters, you're talking about reducing it to 8 characters. A typical combat message would be reduced to 1-2 characters. A 1000 character help file would be reduced to 20 characters. And you've said that this is without compression, so the reduced amount is presumably what you'd actually display to the user.

MCCP would be well worth adding to NWA anyway, considering how many players you've got. There's a good reason why Aardwolf offers in-game incentives to players who use MCCP-enabled mud clients.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

MUD players want everything of course!

This question is like asking what people want in a tv show, movie, or book. It varies enormously based on the person.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #20
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I'm extremely hesitant to add pretty much anything requested by players. The lower level they are, the more hesitant I am. Naturally there are occasionally ideas that immediately seem like a good idea, but for those that are questionable or hard, I will generally not even investigate unless there's a large consensus. In a lot of cases when I do implement something players request, it's very different from the original concept.

The fact of the matter is that players think they know what they want, but in most cases don't and are incompetent to make design decisions. I've been sent requests to add 'word of death' and 'death blade' spells more times than I can remember.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote