Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Looking for a codebase

I had considered building an engine from scratch, but I'm not sure that's the direction I want to go now. I'd like to find a bare-bones OO codebase similar to MOO. I'd actually use Lambda if it were disk-based, but...

Also, if you were writing from scratch, would you use C/C++, Java, Python or something else?
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Atyreus

Home MUD: The Dreaming City
Atyreus is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a codebase

You should take a look at ColdC/Genesis (). It has some similarities to MOO, but it is disk-based. A couple of extremely bare-bones cores are available. I've been working with ColdC for about a year and a half now, and I consider it one of the best kept secrets of MUD codebases. The only downside is that there isn't much in the way of a ColdC community. There is a mailing list, but I'm not sure it's even active anymore.
Atyreus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Will

Will is on a distinguished road

I've looked at Cold and love its features. Why haven't more people used it?
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Valaria

Valaria is on a distinguished road

well... i tries to ./configure genesis and apparently it didnt work.. it say it need gdbm or ndbm. i did install gdbm, but it didnt see it. so i dont know how to make it see it OR configure is broken itself.
Valaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Atyreus

Ugh... yeah, the configure script sometimes needs to be kicked around a little. IIRC, while using one flavor of Linux (Slackware maybe?) I had to edit the script so that it would just use gdbm instead of trying to decide on its own what particular dbm was available. Also, I believe there is a typo in the script that will keep it from properly determining if ndbm is available. I'm at work at the moment though, and don't have a copy of the script available to look at.

As to why more people don't use ColdC, that is something that really baffles me (though I suppose a tetchy configure script might not exactly endear it to some potential users). It has a non-restrictive license, it's extremely stable, and it's relatively easy to learn even given the dearth of documentation. As with LPC, it allows you to make modifications to your game on the fly, but has the added advantage that you don't need to reload objects in order for the modifications to take place. The ColdC language is ideal for the development of text based games, but it makes almost no assumptions about the sort of game you wish to develop, giving you about as much flexibility as you can have without coding a game from scratch.

All that said, there seems to be only about four or five muds (including Skotos' The Eternal City) that use it. Go figure.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Valaria

Valaria is on a distinguished road

well someone would need to fix configure makefile. meh. that probably only one thing that fustrates me. I am using Ubuntu distro at the moment. can you tell me how can i change it to use GDBM at all? thanks.

Last edited by Valaria : 11-29-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Valaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Atyreus

Here are the steps that I had to take to get "configure" to set the driver up to use gdbm (this has worked under both RedHat and Slackware). This may or may not work for you depending on the exact problem you are having with the script.

First find the line in "configure" that reads:
and simply change it to
This will keep the script from going with one of the other flavors of dbm instead. If this doesn't work and you know gdbm is available, you'll have to force the script to use the proper header file. To do this, find the line
and insert the following before it:
Next, find the following lines in "configure":
Comment these lines out and then insert