Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > Bugs and Suggestions
Click here to Register

Old 08-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
The calendar

From
I decided to make a new thread about it to not bring the other topic further off topic. Also a good test to see if those cool linkback features work .
The height of that calendar could probably be increased, and it should probably be possible to optionally link a forum post to the events so it works together with the announcement forum.

I think Lasher mentioned he might make TMS show relevant calendar events on the frontpage. The question is what is relevant. Perhaps users should be able to register what MUDs they play or have interest in and rank such calendar events higher?
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: The calendar

I'm not sure that would really accomplish anything. People who into a particular MUD aren't going to come to TMS to find out about events in it. They can get that info from inside the MUD, from the MUD's website, or the MUD's forums I'd think.

New, prospective players are also unlikely to take the time to register what MUDs they're interested in leaving, it seems, use of the calendar limited to the same people who mainly use the forums - other MUD admins.
--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody

I'm not sure I follow the logic of why this is supposedly not a good idea. I agree that people who play a particular MUD are going to look to that MUD's internal calendar or website for what's going on, but I think there's merit to showcasing what TMS-listed MUDs have activities going on (particularly on the front page).

1) It's a sign of life that things are going on. The IRE 10th birthday celebration is a great example of this.
2) It's a sign of life that things are going on in more than one MUD. This adds to the impression that, hey, lots of people are still interested in MUDs, despite the gigantic MMOs.
3) It's a sign of life that people are using TMS as a promotional tool. This encourages other people to *look* for activities here and to promote them.

I can see front-page calendar feeds being useful for would-be players and admins alike.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

I think there's merit to showcasing it on the front page too. It has to be put in front of people's eyes rather than depending on them to search it out. What I was commenting on was the idea of players registering which MUDs they are interested in so that they see the calendar events for MUDs they care about. I don't see that as particularly useful or something likely to be used much at all.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody

Ah, my misunderstanding, then. Yeah, I agree with that, then. Doesn't seem to fit with the purpose we're trying to achieve here. The more *different* games we can expose through this service, the better.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote