Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
onelife

onelife is on a distinguished road
Question Help with picking MUD.

Hi guys (and girls?)

Can you please help me with something.

Recently I've discovered that I really like when an item is described in a "rich" way.
Think of creations from Dwarf Fortress. Regardless if it's random or not it is very interesting for me personally.

Now, I have been looking at some MUDS and decided that I would like to play one of them.
I've checked all three of them very briefly (very little time to play) and they all are fine where it comes to game play itself, lore and so on.
Unfortunately I am not able to play all of them long enough to see witch one suits me best.

That's where MUD veterans like you are my only hope to make the right decision

Which one of those MUDS has the best descriptions where it comes to items(in general, not just weapons and armor)?

What I'm looking for, or at least as close as possible. I'm not expecting every item to be like that but at least some later game items etc.

- Bastard sword - This two handed sword is made out of iron. Its blade is is still sharp and could easily cut a man in half. Family crest on the hilt housing six gems creating a circle with, what looks like a claw in the middle.

What I'm trying to avoid is:

- Bastard sword - two handed iron sword.

My picks at the moment are:

- Aardwolf,
- Achaea
- Gemstone

None of the early game play would help me as they all feel equally OK'ish.

Ps. Sorry for the cheesy description, English is not my native tongue.
I hope that you know what I mean though
onelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Tempus_FK

Tempus_FK is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with picking MUD.

For what it's worth, I played Gemstone about 20 years ago and I remember enjoying the level of creativity in the names of objects. Take my very dated opinion accordingly. (Gemstone is pay-for-play, too.)
Tempus_FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Nas

Nas is on a distinguished road

Now I know this isn't one of your choices.. However,

Distant Lands 2 () has thousands of items, armor, clothing, and weapons with long and short descriptions. Now when you start off.. you'll have "a dagger" or "a sword". That's only because you've just started. Depending on who's on, you'll have all types of stuff tossed your way for free. Just to help you out and get you started. So for example:

a pair of razor edged adamantium greaves of the mediator

the warped serrated blade of prismatic colors

an illithid cranial devourer

a flaming crimson halo of corruption

the glowing crimson aura of hatred

Or.. just simply look at an elf (a very powerful player).

Haltic the half elf has some small wounds and bruises.

Haltic the half elf glows with a bright white light.

Visible equipment:

<Head>
Floating about: the aura of ultimate life
Worn over: the disembodied head of the winter dragon (glowing)
On face: a tear drop
On ears: a pair of razor honed ethereal drake claw earrings
<Body>
Around neck: amulet of the all seeing drakes eye (glowing)
On shoulders: twin adamantium disks engraved with runes (glowing)
On entire body: a glowing blue nimbus (glowing) (humming)
On torso: a shirt of golden white dragon's scales (glowing) (excellent)
About body: a robe of royal sapphire
About waist: a pearly white belt engraved with silvery runes
<Hands & Arms>
As shield: sky metal combat shield with razor spikes
On arms: war torn vambraces of the twins
On right wrist: woven dragon claw bracelets (glowing) (excellent)
On left wrist: woven dragon claw bracelets (glowing) (excellent)
On hands: a pair of iron clawed gloves
On right hand: a ruby studded platinum ring
On left hand: a ruby studded platinum ring
In right hand: dragon claw (good)
<Weapons>
In left hand: sky metal battle glaive named, "The Goddesses Wrath"
<Legs & Feet>
On legs: war torn greaves of the twins
On right ankle: a small hoop smelling like sulphur (fair)
On left ankle: an anklet of the outcast (excellent)
On feet: the boots of dragon control

Oh and did I mention? It's 100% free.
Nas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
bytre

bytre is on a distinguished road

Give Ancient Anguish a try. . Throughout its 22 year history it has had a "describe all" policy, resulting in an immersive text experience. Its fully free to play, new users are welcome. Its also an international mud, so there are many folks who are not native english speakers.

I will let our bastard swords speak for themselves. These are the descriptions of those I could find. Note that some of them may change description as they are used, manipulated, enchanted, and so forth. Our bastard swords are not alone in having rich descriptions.

A long bladed bastard sword. The handle is perfectly proportioned for use with one and a half-hands. The blade glows with an eerie radiance, flickering like the flame of a candle, yet somehow infinitely more subtle

This weapon is very large, and heavy. Its metal is a dark grey, and looks a little clumsy to hold. The size of it tells you that it could do alot of damage if wielded by someone well trained.

The bright metal shines in the light causing a glowing aura to surround this elven weapon. The hilt bears a design of two golden dragons intertwined in battle. Though the size of this weapon is great, it is surprisingly light.

The bright metal of its long, slightly curved blade shining in the light causes a glowing aura to surround this elven weapon. The hilt bears a design of two golden dragons intertwined in battle.

This is a large sword. It looks razor sharp and cuts the air as it moves.

This bastard sword has a long hilt that makes it suitable to be wielded in one or two hands.

This is a bastard sword forged from silver.

This is a bastard sword forged from iron. It looks somewhat heavy.

The bright metal shines in the light, causing a glowing aura to surround this elven weapon. The hilt bears a design of two golden dragons intertwined in battle. Curving slowly from hilt to tip, the blade narrows towards the middle of its length, and widens again at the tip into a cruel-looking barb.

This weapon is very large, and heavy. The metal is a dark grey, and it looks a little clumsy to hold. The size of it tells you that it could do a lot of damage if wielded by someone well-trained.

A large bastard sword.

This is the Starblade. It is an ancient sword with five spaces in its hilt. The sword seems like it was crafted by a master forger from an unknown metal ages ago. There seems to be an inscription written on the base of the sword.

This was once a gleaming bastard sword, but age has dulled it's edge and covered most of the blade in rust.

This sword is made of steel, and quite long. It glistens slightly, because the blade is extremely shiny. It looks like you could wield it in either one or two hands.

Drin's sword is well made. Its condition is too good for it to have seen battle.

This sword has none of the hallmarks a finely forged weapon such as this deserves. No inscriptions or filigree illuminate this sword, only a double blood groove which runs a third of the length of the blade from the crossguard. Overall it seems to be an excellent weapon with which to slay one's enemies.

This is a long, heavy sword, intended for use with both hands. The owner has taken good care of it, as it has recently been sharpened. The hilt is tightly wrapped with soft leather, making this weapon very comfortable to hold.
bytre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Angie

Home MUD: God Wars II
Angie is on a distinguished road

I am also going to pitch our game here - if you are only looking for opinions on the 3 muds you mentioned, please disregard.

On we not only have detailed item descriptions, but many of our items also have subdescriptions for features mentioned:
If that seems like the level of detail you are looking for, check us out.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote