Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > Bugs and Suggestions
Click here to Register

Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 AM   #61
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road
Re: MUD Reviews

This is probably most unholy threadomancy, but everything seemed to cut off there, so I was wondering if there was a final word, and if not, whether it was still worth discussing.

After all, regardless of whether they are good, bad or indifferent, those review links are still stuck up there on the front page.

Perhaps one way would be to have a system whereby there is a team of review moderators (separate from forum moderators), and submitted reviews wait for 48 hours or so, and if no moderator reports an objection, they get posted. If there's an objection, then the moderators can discuss it, vote on it, investigate further etc.

There's never going to be a perfect solution though, because even professional critics have their own biases. It might be best to implement this basic spam/quality filter and then let it go as before, opt-out and all. At least then there's something out there, and people have some way of contributing in a much more controlled manner than the forum threads that have the potential to get out of hand. I don't think the opt-out is a big deal personally, as long as you see the "Top MUD Listing" as "these MUDs got the most people to vote for them" rather than "these MUDs are officially the best", because that's all it is really.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #62
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about

Good question. Thread necromancy indeed and I'm about to start some serious "code necromancy" here one of these days.

The "new" TMS has been up almost 6 months now and I got buried on another project right after it did. From what I recall we had pretty much decided to use the forum for reviews which gives us a certain level of authentication on who is writing them and allows comments to be added. The forum itself will need some hacking to allow this to be done, although I believe there are some third party VBulletin tools that help with it.

We didn't really come up with a good rating system - too many variables. It wouldn't be fair to have a mud's total rating dragged down because they score low on PK when they're not a PK mud, same with roleplay, etc etc.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #63
DurNominator

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
DurNominator is on a distinguished road

I think that you'd need multiple rating categories if you want to put it into ratings. The categories could be world, PK, RP, whatever people think are good categories.
DurNominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #64
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

You could use many of the categories that are already in the mud listing DB. So for example:

They said:. ........................I say:

Gigantic (20001+ rooms).............Totally bogus! Most of this is wilderness!
All Original........................Except for Smurf Village!
Completely G rated..................This happens to be true.
Restricted Playerkilling............I guess...since only my level 2+'s got PK'ed in their first hour hunting!
Roleplaying Encouraged..............There are 1 or 2 amazing RPers here.

edit: with the option to add numerical ratings to these, naturally.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #65
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road

I like that a lot. It provides a good structure rather than having rambling reviews that don't say much, but it also allows people to put their comments where they make sense. One thing that no one's mentioned is that many people find reviews hard to write due to their unstructured nature, and just putting a comment about a pre-determined facet makes them a lot easier to write. It also helps a bit in reducing things to facts, rather than "the admins are all cheaters" or something. It's like one of those "we welcome your comments" cards that you get at hotels and places. There could then be a general comment space below, for things not covered.

There could be 3 columns, one for the different categories, one for the reviewer's comments, and one for the admin's comments if any. I think the structured approach is a lot easier and a lot more useful than just writing essays, since people who are looking through thousands of MUDs can quickly get the gist of any review, rather than having to read a whole new story for each one.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #66
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

If you're going to use a rating system, I'd rather not have something where people can give 10 (or 1) in everything, otherwise that's what most of them will do. Instead, I'd rather see one of the following:

1. Each review has 100 points to distribute among the different categories (and all 100 MUST be distributed). This doesn't represent how good a mud is compared to other muds, but instead represents how good certain aspects of a mud are compared with other aspects of the same mud.

2. Each reviewer can choose to rate up to 3 categories as 'strong', but must also rate the same number of other categories as 'weak'. Negative reviewers who aren't willing to recognise any good things about the mud are therefore not allowed to rate what they perceive as the bad things, and vice versa. Once again the 'weak' ratings don't necessarily mean that the mud is bad in that category compared to other muds, only that the mud is stronger in other areas.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #67
Valg

Valg will become famous soon enough

I agree with the problem of rating gamesmanship, but your system does assume that all games are roughly of equal quality. It is possible that Game X does all things badly or well.

Still, this could be covered in the introductory paragraph, and/or by an overall rating. If a game gets a 2/10 overall, it's pretty clear that I didn't think much of it, though your system would force me to identify at least a few redeeming features. (For example, a largely stock MUD based on a mature codebase might still have very high stability, and responsive staff.) This should lead to slightly more mature reviewing, and it's a standard sort of format for movie reviews, etc.

My larger concern is that you're going to have a very hard time coming up with a list of characteristics that apply to all games. 'Roleplaying' or 'PvP' might either be the core concept a game is built around, or something that isn't possible, or actively discouraged. It is unfair to rate a game 'unsatisfactory' or whatever if the game wasn't designed to include the feature in question, but it is equally unfair to omit those categories if it's the main purpose of the game.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #68
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

The point of my system is that it doesn't compare the mud with other games at all - the ratings are all relative to other features of the same game.

It is, but if any player can freely rate categories then the vast majority will give either top marks or bottom marks to every category, regardless of how well (or badly) the mud in question has actually implemented the corresponding features. This can provide some insight into the number of fan boys and disgruntled ex-players each mud has, but sadly offers very little else - while my approach at least forces the players to give some insight into the strengths and weaknesses of each game.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:11 AM   #69
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

I dunno, KaVir, it seems to me that a rating system like yours could be easily misinterpreted by the readers. (Just as many readers misinterpret the rankings on this list to be about quality, while in fact they only are about how many players that click the vote button every day).

Most of them would probably just skip the parts where the rating system is explained, and then they would interpret the rating literally.
Meaning that they'd think the part rated as 'weak' would be weak in comparison to other Muds as well, while in fact - if the Mud in question was a really good one - it would be way above average, even though other features in that same Mud were even better.

And isn't reviews actually ABOUT comparing a game with other games?

I think it would be a good thing to have a number of categories that the review would have to comment on to be accepted, but I'm not really sure about rating, in any form. I think it would be better to describe everything in words instead.

Anyhow - it WOULD be good to have a new and improved review system implemented, if nothing else to get rid of those old reviews that have been on the front page for ages.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #70
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

Molly asks: And isn't reviews actually ABOUT comparing a game with other games?

No. That isn't what reviews are about. When was the last time you read a book review, where Harry Potter was compared to Deception Point by Dan Brown? Did you ever see anyone review a Broadway production of Oklahoma and compare it to Godspell as performed on the back 90 of Red Ranch in Greenfork Tennessee?

Reviews are reviews. They are to offer an opinion, based on observation, of a thing. To find out whether the thing is worth experiencing or not, on its own merit. A book isn't good just because it compares favorably with another book, a TV show isn't bad just because it compares unfavorably with another TV show. If something can't be determined "worthwhile" or "not worthwhile" on its own merit, then the reviewer has failed.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #71
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

Point taken - partly. It only holds true however, when you talk about things that are very different. You don't compare apples with carrots, but you might compare Cox Orange to Red Delicious. You don't compare Harry Potter to Brown's Deception Point, but you might well compare it to C.S. Lewis' Narnia series. And actually I have quite often seen plays or films compared to legendary performances 20 years back.

You might not compare a RP enforced MUSH to an unrestricted PK hack'n'slash. But between those extremes most text Muds have a lot in common.

To write a good review you need some kind of references. If you've only read one book in your life, or just seen one film, how could you review it? If you've only ever played one Text Mud, how would you know that it's better than all the other text Muds out there?

People who love Text Muds use to argue that they are better than Graphic game because of more depth and detail, better RP or whatever. But that isn't really true. They only have the POTENTIAL for more depth and better RP. There are lots of text Muds that are just as shallow as any graphic game. If you don't have any reference points, and make at least some comparisons, the review is likely to be useless.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #72
DurNominator

DurNominator is on a distinguished road

I think that each category to be rated should also have a text box below them to for the reviewer to explain the grade and the grade to explain whether the tone of the review is seen as positive or negative by the author. The extreme end grades could have minimum character lenghts for the explanations so that people would have to give their reasoning for giving the good or bad grade.
DurNominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #73
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example_stderror.jpg (14.1 KB, 14 views)
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #74
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Since we haven't had the ability for players to review for well over a year, my vote would be to just get back the original review ability, then argue a change. Those who frequent NW do not care about the method of review, just the ability to review: good, bad, or indifferent. I mean, the massive advances in the game and modifications and player base make the current reviews completely obsolete. It is like reading the review for Windows XP in determining whether you want to buy Windows Vista.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote