Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2002, 12:06 AM   #21
Dulan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 354
Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Quote:
Originally Posted by
On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Dulan de Laal wrote:
> Hello. I was told by Koryon that a member of the original Diku staff resided
> at this address, and to forward my question to you.

That is correct.

> In relation to the non-profit clause in the Diku license -
> I am pondering buying things offa amazon.com for various members of staff
> (Hey, being a staff member is HARD work.), however, the Diku license is
> rather...murky in this respect.

Yes, its very murky in this respect. Certainly i can tell you that you will be
in no trouble by giving them anything. The question is if _they_ will be
profitting from the game by recieving it, and to what extend they have
access to the game. If it is not something you have announced on the game,
and not anything that can be considered payment for services rendered, there
is no problem. If it is in the form; "Be a staff member and code on my MUD
and recieve 2 books a year for free" it is not ok (for them).

btw. i have seen people have amazon deals with their mud web-sites where they
recommend fantasy books, and if the liks on the iste is used to buy, you
get a (small) percentage. I find this a very neat way to help pay for the game.

> Is this taboo? Is it okay? Am I just wasting your time?

It is at the very least very murky. What we usually take action against is
if the players are required to pay, or if they can purchase game items from
the administration. This is the main purpose of the license.

> Thank you for taking the time to read this,
> -D
>
>
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
>
Well? Care to repeat that? This is a verbatim email, with all the important details removed. (Sorry, guys, but I'm not giving some twink Hans-Henrik's email. He'll have to find it out somewhere other than I.)

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 12:37 AM   #22
Orion Elder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 346
Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Don't need to repeat a thing. My e-mail is almost a year newer than your own, and furthermore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by
It is at the very least very murky. What we usually take action against is if the players are required to pay, or if they can purchase game items from the administration. This is the main purpose of the license.
I repeat:
"This is the main purpose of the license."

The main purpose of the license is to prevent you from charging for the use of the game and/or parts of the game. Hans-Henrik stated that. Are you in trouble for giving them prizes? No. You're trying to skirt that issue. Are they for accepting? Possibly... but, there are ways around it (one such way Suggested by Hans-Henrik) that are perfectly legal. Again, you try to skirt that issue.

I won't continue to argue the point, though, because without more evidence (which, btw, I have provided in abundance, and from more than one member of the Diku team), it's pointless to continue doing so.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 12:47 AM   #23
Dulan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 354
Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
-shakes head sadly-

Yet again, you jump on an irrelevant point to the conversation, and try to divert it. Straw-man argument, Orion.

-pat- I'd write out a flame, but I've given up putting the effort in to flame you. You make extensive use of irrelevant information/straw man attacks, bud.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 01:37 AM   #24
Orion Elder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 346
Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
... The point of your whole argument is that ritaker is violating the Diku license, which Hans-Henrik has stated quite clearly that in no WAY is he violating that license by offering to pay, and furthermore even if he DID give them money he didn't violate the license. The only one who MIGHT be violating the license is the one who ACCEPTED the money, and there are legal ways around that.

But, this is a straw-argument, right... addressing your statements directly, providing evidence that proves you wrong, and all that. *ROFL*

You're simply trying to attack the basis of my argument because you're wrong and you can't handle it. Grow up.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:43 AM   #25
Yuki
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: My laptop, my apt, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Posts: 42
Yuki is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yuki
So the other day, at a convention for the mud I run, my good friend Rod and I play a game of Magic with a couple of good-hearted kids from Wadsworth, Ohio. Now, besides the fact that they put crack and mercury in the water there to ensure everyone is totally brain-messed, what ends up is a 4+ hour game leading up to around 9:30am when we decide to just quit.

Now, why did we quit? The two Wadsworthians spent nearly 90% of the time arguing over the rules, the cards, how they're being played, antics, unspoken rules, name calling, past aggressions, and nearly anything else they could find to bitch about.

My point? I swear every thread on here comes down to the same thing. It reminds me of the Simpsons where some geeky guy asks Homer and the Itchy and Scratchy lady how in Episode #something-or-other, when Itchy pulls out Scratchy's skeleton to play it like a xylophone, he distinctly hits the same rib twice, but it made obviously two different sounds. Are we to believe this is some kind of magical, make-believe xylophone?

You are a make-believe xylophone!!!
Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:35 AM   #26
Xanferious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Void
Posts: 490
Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
lol, it started out as a small conversation and turns into Dulan war 2, heh.
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 12:35 PM   #27
Dulan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 354
Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Heh. Amusing, Orion. I point out your straw man-usage, and you actually make an effort to attack me based on my points then.

Yes, my statement was incorrect. It is not the MUD itself that is the license violator - it is the coder. However, KaVir has pointed out this before - if a MUD is willing to hire coders who violate the license so blatantly, it does not say any good things about the MUD.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:14 PM   #28
Galdor
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 19
Galdor is on a distinguished road
Ah Yuki,
that was a truly inspired point. However, you're missing one very important benefit of seeing arguments like this. Anytime I get frustrated with some of the stupid arguments and petty name calling that I see on a seemingly daily basis at work I can come here and read pretty much any thread and realize that life really isn't that bad and could be much worse!
Galdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 03:14 PM   #29
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by
It is not the MUD itself that is the license violator - it is the coder.
Right - however the mud admin is knowingly helping/encouraging them to violate the license, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were putting themselves in a legally dodgy position as well.

After all, if I hired a hitman (or even just a thug to beat you up) I'd find myself in extremely deep trouble. The same if I hired an accountant to fiddle my taxes, or paid someone to steal something.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 05:41 PM   #30
Orion Elder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 346
Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Yet again, though, the point that it CAN be done legally is ignored. On this point both Hans-Henrik and Katja Gamby (Nyboe) agree.

And your example is flawed, KaVir, as hiring a hitman or an enforcer is illegal... (at least hiring I hitman is, and I'm fairly sure hiring an enforcer is as well) Offering money to someone, to code, is not.

I won't comment on the 'dodginess' of the situation, though, as I honestly don't know... ethically, it might not be as dodgy as you may think. Many people don't think of GIVING someone things to work for them as 'profit.' The fact that others receiving the goods could violate the license probably never enters their mind. Legally, it COULD be a problem, depending on how it is handled.

So, you wanna pay me to code for your DikuMUD? Ok, I'll program the code separately, then integrate said code into your DikuMUD. Simple solution for that is to write code that does what you want. Take the payment for the code. Then install it for free. That makes it legal, and that was the suggestion given by Katja Gamby. I am then being paid for code that has nothing to do with the codebase. I am expressly making it work for that codebase free of charge.

The same can be done for building, if you want to go through the effort of writing the area, taking the payment, then installing the area for free (in this case you're being payed for the 'art', such as base room descriptions, mobile ideas, etc). Then once you finish, simply go in, add the descriptions and tweak the area for that MUD. Again, legal.

Maybe a thread in the legal forum, about this subject, would be a good idea. Would stop the degeneration of this thread into a legal discussion.

For those curious to what Katja Gamby said:

Katja Gamby on 08/16/2002 at 5:33AM EST:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I just had to check with Hans-Henrik Stærfeldt, because I wasn't
sure myself.

It is actually ok to pay someone to code for you. It is, however, in violation of the license for the programmer to receive the money for working with the DikuMUD source (he is in effect using the source to make money). The license is followed if the progammer can enhance the game without using the source (creating independent modules), and then integrate these modules into the source free of charge.

I hope this helps

Katja Gamby
So... basically, do you work separate from the game, put it in the game for free, charge for the work you did before the installation.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 06:38 PM   #31
Dulan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 354
Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Hmm.

Hey, KaVir, doesn't Orion's arguments sorta remind you of Koldryn and his line of arguments?

-shrug- I keep reading his stuff, and have to keep checking back to be sure it's Ori, and not Kold.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 06:59 PM   #32
Terloch
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 152
Terloch is on a distinguished road
I do believe the horse is dead, chopped into pieces, and is now the consistency of thin paste suitable for spreading on crackers. STOP BEATING THE DAMN HORSE AND SHUT UP ALREADY...
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 07:32 PM   #33
Dulan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 354
Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Terloch......

Have you ever known the MUDding community to NOT beat a dead horse?

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:51 PM   #34
Orion Elder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 346
Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Dulan.....

Only when you're not around.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:54 PM   #35
Dulan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 354
Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Heh.

Koldryn, Orion, Koldryn. Even the whole dead horse argument.

(Amusingly enough, it is true. You got me to look at the old saved flames.)

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:40 PM   #36
AlazlamBL
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 27
AlazlamBL is on a distinguished road
Firstly, please don't take me as some newbie to the forums because of my number of posts. I've been watching for a long time, I just don't make posts unless there's something I want to say. Alright, this is what I never got about the mudding community. People argure, disagree, that's natural. But I've noticed people looking past pretty obvious questions. I've seen people offer to pay 10$ a zone, pay for coding, pay for administrating, etc... The one thing I've never gotten is how do they do this? Regardless of licensing, and what's legal and what's not, how the hell can the person who does the work be sure that they will be paid? Personally, I work on muds and play on muds for fun. I do what I do because I want the game that I help to create and manage to be good. Good enough for players to come and have fun on and not have to worry about crashes and bugs or cheaters. I do it because I want to. Now, people that do it for money, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm curious, are you all looking for a quick buck? Or do you enjoy working on muds, but just want to make a little money on the side doing something that's already a hobby? How do you know you'll even be paid? Do you want pay before you give the owner access to the work? And the owner, what if he takes the work, and doesn't pay you? It's not like anyone is going to go through legal action for 10$, well at least I don't think they would. But what do I know. I mean it's just funny that everyone argues and flames about points that even if you win, and it is/isn't against the license it doesn't matter, since no one would take action anyway. Oh, and if I said something wrong just let me know in a nice way. Oh, and one more thing I've noticed. Most of the posts that I've seen offering pay to people have more spelling errors then posts that simply try to attract people to their staff without money. Personally I wouldn't trust people to pay me for services rendered if they can't type or spell correctly. That would be like going to an IRL interview and having your potential boss start talking like a 3th grader. Personally, I'd walk out on that interview. Also, people always say it was rushed. Well maybe take time to look over your post before you make it. That always makes things seem more professional and credable. Just a few points. Bye all, and peace. (Peace means be NICE when you flame this response to an already dead horse, and yea, I've seen flaming dead horses when Dulan wasn't around. And back then they could fly as well )
AlazlamBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


The Sword Of Truth - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Griffin Sword Saga MelissaMeyer Advertising for Players 4 03-29-2014 11:48 PM
Dragonball Truth Mhurzin Advertising for Players 1 03-15-2006 06:16 AM
100% pure Sword and Sorcery! StygianKING Advertising for Players 6 04-03-2005 05:20 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014