|12-04-2003, 10:18 PM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Year 350 in Achaea has seen a lot of new additions to the world plus a huge competition with thousands of dollars of prizes including real-world swords and an iPod. The new major additions included:
- Selene, the Goddess of Love and Beauty
- Scarlatti, the God of the Arts
- A system for players to become bookies and take bets from other players.
- Foozling! A new global game.
- A new area: The Valley of Actar
- Hunt the Bandersnatch, another new global game.
- The Scarlattan Theatre: An incredibly competent system for putting on plays.
And last night, at the very end of Year 350, the long-awaited Bard class (our 15th class) was introduced! Bards gain the new skills of Swashbuckling, Voicecraft, and Harmonics. I won't post the full skill lists (25-35 abilities in each skill), but some example abilities from each:
Swashbuckling mainly involves offensive abilities with a rapier or acrobatic movement and defensive abilities. For instance:
- Flourish Intimidate an opponent with a flourish of your blade.
- Knuckleslap Numb someone's hand with the flat of your rapier.
- DrunkenSailor A stance designed to increase the unpredictability of your movements and attacks.
- DeathFromAbove Leap out of the trees to knock down and skewer some unlucky S.O.B. below you.
- Backhandspring Execute one of these to leave the room while kicking someone in the face on the way out.
Voicecraft is the use of one's voice to create various effects, usually on a single target. Unlike nearly every other ability in the game, however, it doesn't use or require equilibrium or balance. It uses its own type of balance called 'voice balance' such that one can be using Voicecraft and either Swashbuckling or Harmonics simultaneously. For example:
- Sing March Cause even the steadiest of mounts to panic.
- Sing Vibrato Shatter a victim's arm with a trilling vibrato.
- Recite Poem Cause severe nausea in someone with a poem of gluttony and decay.
- Chant Dwinnu Cast off web spells.
- Sing Qasida An ascetic qasida to instill anorexia in your victim.
- Sing Solo Temporarily increase the maximum health of a friend.
Harmonics are usually, but not always, ongoing room-based effects requiring one of the bardic instruments: lyre, mandolin, flute, harp, or lute. Abilities include:
- Divertimento Periodically disrupts the equilibrium of enemies in the room.
- Berceuse Will regularly try to put an enemy to sleep, or remove a sleep-related defence such as the effect of the kola nut.
- POES (Acronym for Place of Eternal Song). Allows the bard to store a limited number of undecaying harmonics that may be called upon instantly in case of danger.
- FuneralMass Requiring four bards to execute, this deadly harmonic can slay an unprepared enemy nearly instantly.
- Cacophony Destroy the reverberation vibration of a Magi, allowing the use of a cube sigil to attack the other vibrations.
- Rondo Call out the rats from their hiding places with an enticing rondo.
Stop by and check us out! Few muds can match our pace of development so there's always something new to use or play with.
|Bards + Achaean Year 350 wrapup - Similar Threads|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Bards Released in Lusternia||Estarra||MUD Announcements||2||11-28-2006 12:09 PM|
|Achaea Wiki - The Archives of Achaean Lore||Maya||MUD Announcements||0||11-30-2005 06:04 PM|
|Achaean dating service?||the_logos||MUD Administration||12||04-09-2005 09:02 PM|
|HAPPY NEW YEAR!||Brody||Tavern of the Blue Hand||4||01-11-2005 09:59 PM|
|Happy New Year!||Santrilla||Tavern of the Blue Hand||4||01-05-2003 10:44 PM|