Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Legal Issues
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
locke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
Posts: 195
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking KaViR is a cyberbully

Well, folks, this thread:
mudconnect.com: The Mud Connector - Mud and RPG game index, mudlist and reviews

Shows how Kavir abuses his power at TMC to damage his competition. Simultaneous to his recent release of GodWars II, the "random mud pick" at TMC reads:

Random Mud Pick: God Wars II ( Play Now )

His motivation in creating this absurd argument that Mud Server A is really Mud Server B is essentially a "false-positive" - meaning, he creates the illusion of a gray area, then uses his power to call into question NiMUD solely to get an illusion of illegality around the software, driving out competition -- just like he has done creating an illusion of a community around his dwindling GodWars codebase. Of the 43 muds listed on TMC as "GodWars", only 12 operate and only 2 don't infringe on other people's copyrights and/or trademarks in their content.

He can't stand a fair competition, so he eliminates it -- unfairly -- solely to sooth his own ego while he employs cronyism through use of sock puppetry and his personal friends. There is no accident that the people who respond responded when they did, he has carefully orchestrated this illusion for his own personal gain and is doing so supposedly in the name of the "community", but in reality he is doing it solely for himself. He finds it amusing that he can rub salt in other people's wounds, and uses those weaknesses to bully others into responding, then uses his sockpuppets and cronies to create pressure - kind of like Jay Leno did to Conan O'Brien.

More evidence of Dick Woolcock's cyberbullying: GodWars timeline - GodwarsWiki - you will note that many times in the timeline they mention KaViR saying one thing and doing another, or providing different rules for different people, or trying to get people's services shut down for using software that had been distributed to them - probably by KaViR, who then later denied it or revised history to appear differently, since this timeline comes from KaViR himself.

This document http://nimud.divineright.org/NiMUDAnatomy.pdf is my argument that I do not use a significant enough amount of code from Merc/Diku to warrant calling running NiMUD "running a Dikumud" since NiMUD is not a DikuMUD. A DikuMUD comes in a DikuMUD package, and a NiMUD comes in a NiMUD package. Since I am not "running a DikuMUD", I don't have to keep their credits in the "credits" command because all I have to do according to the license is keep their notices in the source code and their names in the login sequence.

You can tell from the way KaViR picks on me by insulting me regarding my deceased colleague, creates FUD regarding NiMUD, and then uses his power to flag NiMUD using a KaViR-created false-positive for Diku license violation.

He is doing this only for his own personal gain, and the way he goes about it is to use dirty tricks. He has had NiMUD delisted from TMC - I was not allowed to defend myself before it was delisted in front of anyone but KaViR and his 4 cronies/fake accounts - and at least I now know who it is who has it "out for me" in the Mud community. Richard Woolcock is nothing more than a self-serving egotist with no respect for his elders or the people who have provided him with valuable source code. Using his logic, he would say the same thing of me --> with no legal backing and without providing any significant evidence. This technique is called reflection, (mirroring or copycat-ism) and he used it in the above thread on Mud Connector to spread FUD before abusing his power as a TMC "auditor" -- a position which he holds only to serve himself, with the occasional legitimate claim to keep his relationship with TMC appear legitimate. He will interpret legal documents in ways that benefit him only, and will ignore and disrupt any attempts to defend one-self.

I do not recommend using his software or dealing with him at all. From the few GodWars administrators I spoke with, many of them expressed disdain and the few who didn't were also bullies.

Last edited by locke : 07-26-2010 at 02:51 AM.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Parhelion
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Name: Sarah
Location: Tempe, AZ
Home MUD: Ethos
Posts: 71
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

I took a look over that thread and all I saw were a bunch of grown (and half-grown) men arguing over who gets The Most Emo Troll Award.

In the end, you couldn't win the argument THERE so you brought it here; the problem with this is that the MUD community is so small, you're still ultimately arguing with the same people as before.


So here are the bottom lines, on which I think we must all agree, even if we never admit to it:

1.) A sizable portion (I would say a fifth, to blindly pull a number out of my ass) of all MUDs advertised on both TMS and TMC are operating illegally due to either broken licenses OR stolen IP [which does, in fact, include areas "based on" established IP or franchises]. A non-exhausting list of such IPs include: Star Wars, Star Trek, Mass Effect, Tolkien, Digimon, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, InuYasha, Pern, the Wheel of Time, Dune, Avatar, Naruto, DragonRealms, DragonLance, Hitchhiker's Guide, that stupid sparkling vampire series, Harry Potter, Fallout, Lion King, and any other number of things I can't recall off the top of my head.

2.) An even larger portion of listed MUDs are listed incorrectly in the hopes of being competitive, and the listing sites, bless their fragile little hearts, are so inaccurate that they might as well not even exist. Even when an infringement is brought to light, it's usually ignored, because we can't be bothered to try and exercise integrity around here anymore.

3.) MUD owners and their minions are TYPICALLY sociopathic, lying, unethical little sh*ts; many of them actually have high IQs, but they have the social graces of a rutting moose and don't have the presence of mind to admit that they have absolutely no idea on how to design and run a game.

4.) The MUD communities, such as TMS and TMC, are stalled and kept active only by trolls fighting each other over 8-year-old+ arguments.

5.) The proliferation of freely available code has done very little to strengthen the MUD genre -- if anything, it's killing it. See [insert Yet Another Stock MUD here] as an example of why.


In short, you're never going to win an argument, no matter what it's about or how right (or wrong) you are, because there are absolutely no standards against which to argue.

Quite frankly I'd be giddy if someone went through and sued half of all of these illegal games and challenged licenses on legal grounds. I'd be even happier to see them shut down.


Kkthxbai.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

As a TMC auditor I'm expected to flag listing problems that are drawn to my attention, and known non-compliance with mud licences is considered a major issue.

You announced that around 40% of DikuMUD was a "directly match" with NiMUD, then followed up by boasting to me directly that you had no intention of following the Diku licence. You did this on TMC after I told you that I'm a TMC auditor, explained to you how the audit system worked, told you that it's my responsibility to respond to issues that are brought to my attention, and unofficially advised you multiple times to correct your non-compliance.

What exactly did you expect me to do?

If you think I've somehow targeted your mud, you are very much mistaken. You're just the latest in a line of muds that refuse to respect the rights of other mud developers. Of course most of them don't explicitly tell a TMC auditor that they're knowingly flaunting the licence.

In regard to the "competition" comment, your mud has no players and the gameplay is basically stock. If you wish to see how I respond to real competition, with unique gameplay and a mud that actually pulls in players from a similar target audience to my game, you should look at my response to ConQUEST.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
silvarilon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 144
silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

I know I haven't been around here that long, but in the time I have been here, KaVir has always been polite, thoughtful, and intelligent in his posts. I've never observed anything that even comes close to bullying.

He also always seems willing to discuss mud mechanics, and expresses his thoughts in practical terms that can help other mud developers improve their game.

From what I can tell, he's got a very solid game, and doesn't appear threatened by other muds. Unless his behavior is different elsewhere, I'm pleased to be part of the same community as KaVir.
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
dentin
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Home MUD: Alter Aeon
Posts: 245
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

KaVir has been around longer than I have, and the entire time I've been around I've never seen him post anything bogus. He's honest, reliable, and dedicated to MUDs and the MUD community.

Locke on the other hand is a known code thief. He doesn't seem to understand from a legal standpoint how copyright works; his logic seems to be "no-one's sued me yet, therefore it must be legal".
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
locke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
Posts: 195
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
You announced that around 40% of DikuMUD was a "directly match" with NiMUD, then followed up by boasting to me directly that you had no intention of following the Diku licence.
A complete lie, I claimed less than 10% and proved it was probably more like 7% with this document: http://nimud.divineright.org/NIMUDAnatomy.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
What exactly did you expect me to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
If you think I've somehow targeted your mud, you are very much mistaken.
Not true. Your stupid cronies have followed me to the ends of the earth bothering me whenever you get a chance, bringing up all sorts of bogus claims (like the one I just responded to), encouraging the deletion of many mud softwares that were distributed and you also use personal attacks. I've been around longer than you KaViR.

If you're such a stickler for following licenses and respecting other developers then why don't you enforce the same thing for my OLC packages I released with my friend a long time ago. You're a hypocrit, a liar, a sociopath , a mirroring copycat, and an all around idiot, KaVir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
In regard to the "competition" comment, your mud has no players and the gameplay is basically stock.
Like I said before, this is an example where he's spreading FUD. NiMUD has no stock areas and is 80000 lines of unique, complex gameplay. Then, he went on to plug his own project. Obviously Kavir takes his sense of fair play from British Petroleum.

Last edited by locke : 07-26-2010 at 12:22 PM.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
locke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
Posts: 195
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentin View Post
KaVir has been around longer than I have, and the entire time I've been around I've never seen him post anything bogus. He's honest, reliable, and dedicated to MUDs and the MUD community.

Locke on the other hand is a known code thief. He doesn't seem to understand from a legal standpoint how copyright works; his logic seems to be "no-one's sued me yet, therefore it must be legal".
Well, my software was stolen from me by Ivan who wrote his own name prominently over ours. On top of that, many features from my MUD, NiMUD, have found their way into countless other MUDs without any credit given. Furthermore, my source code - the source code that shows the historic connections between The Isles, OLC, and more of its contemporaries, have been systematically removed thereby creating a situation where it appears that others wrote OLC unless you dig into the web archive or waltz around on Usenet archives. This is obscuring the truth and is done by people like KaVir.

And it is the responsibility of a party to enforce their own copyright protections, not that of the government or anyone else. If it goes unenforced, oh well, it ain't the first time.

Though it may appear KaVir has fans and supporters here (ie: an illusion is created thereof), talking to people on MUDs themselves has revealed to me a dislike and distrust for Kavir and his bullying.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
locke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
Posts: 195
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
In the end, you couldn't win the argument THERE so you brought it here; the problem with this is that the MUD community is so small, you're still ultimately arguing with the same people as before.
No, I am creating more artifact of it here because this creates a separate record. There is a great injustice going on here - if you ignore the science I have provided then you are, well, ignorant.

Only the ignorant would suggest the destruction of information is somehow warranted - ever. Have you not learned from Alexandria? Your idea that burning a library is somehow better than leaving bygones be bygones shows me that you have no sense of delicacy.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Talk about delusional narcissism. Everything that Locke is attributing to Kavir is actually a reflection of Locke's own personality short of a massive ego, limited intelligence and even more limited abilities.

Long story short, Locke is a thief. He's stolen someone else's code, stripped their names from it and tried to pass it off as his own. Whether it's 90% his code, 1% his code or 99.99999999999% his code it's still a Diku-derivitive.

I'll note that last year in response to Locke's bull****, I introduced a motion to the RPMUD Network to ban any game using this stolen code from our listings and that any game we review which uses this stolen code and does not modifiy its credtis to reflect its true design lineage would be given a negative review featuring the most severe condemnation.

To Locke, a quick rundown of your "points" reveals just how wrong you are and once again also proves your well-known claims of superior intellect are also fictional (your narcissism is to blame of course).

Games using Godwars that may infringe on copyright do so because the games' owners have made a choice to do so, not because of anything Kavir has done. They and they alone are responsible for their violation. Games using "your" code, as if anyone would use it, are screwed from the start because YOU have violated the Diku license. There's a big difference there.

Your narcissism is blinding you to the reality that Kavir doesn't have cronies supporting him; he has taken the ethical position and thus the community has supported his position because he's right. The reason no one comes to your defense is because you're wrong, you're a thief and you're also too conceited, arrogant and self-absorbed to realize it.

Your argument is flawed from the start because it's not based on reality. You are claiming credit for other people's work in violation of the license agreement that you accepted by use of their work. Regardless of how much of the Diku code you originally used remains, once you decided to use their code you were subject to their license. Even replacing ALL of their code still holds you responsible to credit them for their work from which you have built off. There is no defense for your actions as they're motivated by both your desire to take credit for other people's work and your lack of intelligence which is preventing you from understanding your delusional exaggeration of your own self-worth.

Your description of Kavir is so laughable because you've decribed yourself. You're an egotistical narcissist who can't accept that you're a small fish, a nobody, a never-was and a never-will-be. You're the one desperate to try and portray himself as something he's not and scared of competition or anyone who questions your self-esteem. In short, you're a deluded fool and a thief.

Go back to the rock you occassionally crawl out from and wallow in your self-deception that you created a code, that you invented YouTube, that you discovered oxygen and penicillin and whatever other delusions your pathetic little mind creates to delude you into thinking you're anything but an unintelligent, talentless fool.

Please don't come back here and may the door hit you in the ass on the way out,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
drakkos
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Home MUD: Epitaph
Posts: 18
drakkos is on a distinguished road
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke View Post
No, I am creating more artifact of it here because this creates a separate record. There is a great injustice going on here - if you ignore the science I have provided then you are, well, ignorant.
Obvious troll is obvious.

Seriously, everyone - it's so clear that he is getting off on the attention he gets here and on TMC. It's the only possible explanation for his mind-boggling behaviour. It seems obvious advice, but please don't feed the troll. No-one is going to be convinced either way by arguing. Locke will not accept he is in the wrong, and almost everyone else in the mudding world will not accept that his molten crazy isn't going to ever be less molten or crazy. All that is happening at the moment is that every year or so we get a repeat of exactly the same argument spread over multiple threads like some kind of horrible road-kill on a windscreen.

I appreciate when it comes down to his claims of people disrespecting his own copyright that people feel it's necccessary to counter the disinformation, but at the very least we can keep it all, surely, to a single thread.

Drakkos.
drakkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
locke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
Posts: 195
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkos View Post
Locke will not accept he is in the wrong

I appreciate when it comes down to his claims of people disrespecting his own copyright that people feel it's necccessary to counter the disinformation, but at the very least we can keep it all, surely, to a single thread.

Drakkos.

Well if they don't respect me, why should I respect them?

Anyway the point is now rendered moot:

Quote:
NiMUD is a periodically updated MUD software that has been in production
since 1992. It is released under the Artistic License 2.0 and its
documentation, help files, NIMscripts and area files are distributed under
CCA-3.0 BY-SA licenses. It was chiefly engineered by Locke, the pseudonym
of Herb Gilliland. Parts of the editor are (c) 1993 Herb Gilliland and
Chris Woodward. A long, long time ago it was based on Merc 2.0c; and is
released in good faith under its current licensing conditions.

The following information appears only because a team of fanatic
bullies have required it to be. I want you to know that the
original DikuMUD contains infringing material on the company Hasbro,
the Tolkien estate, and TSR, inc. among others.

"Original game idea, concept, and design" of DikuMUD, on which 7% of
this code is based on a derivative ("HELP MERC") by:

Katja Nyboe, Tom Madsen, Hans Henrik Staerfeldt, Michael Seifert,
Sebastian Hammer, with additional contributions from Michael Curran,
Bill Wisner, Mads Haar, and Stephan Dahl.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
drakkos
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Home MUD: Epitaph
Posts: 18
drakkos is on a distinguished road
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke View Post
Well if they don't respect me, why should I respect them?
Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Drakkos.
drakkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
locke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
Posts: 195
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Long story short, Locke is a thief.
It's not theft to claim one's work as one's own. Furthermore, Locke was once a thief character in a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
He's stolen someone else's code, stripped their names from it and tried to pass it off as his own.
Not true. I've never completely stripped their names from any version of NiMUD, The Isles, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Whether it's 90% his code, 1% his code or 99.99999999999% his code it's still a Diku-derivitive.
Not true. Part of copyright law provides "Fair Use" -- which is why YouTube keeps winning lawsuits even though most of their content is owned by other people and was used without their permission - solely because the length of the video was so short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
I'll note that last year in response to Locke's bull****, I introduced a motion to the RPMUD Network to ban any game using this stolen code from our listings and that any game we review which uses this stolen code and does not modifiy its credtis to reflect its true design lineage would be given a negative review featuring the most severe condemnation.
Yes, and by doing so you burned Alexandria. Aren't you just a bit liberal with your delete key, fascist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Games using Godwars that may infringe on copyright do so because the games' owners have made a choice to do so, not because of anything Kavir has done. They and they alone are responsible for their violation.
Whatever, man. It's a double standard and you're the hypocrite in charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Games using "your" code, as if anyone would use it
Despite your attempt to create a rumor as such, I've noticed my code is in a lot of MUDs these days -- a snippet here, a snippet there -- Newt's contributory NiMUD combat system, for one, has found its way into dozens of servers. Also, there are other popular snippets including a derived NiMUD money system, which have found their way around. OF COURSE, our OLC is was and has always been a very popular OLC and one of the first complete OLC packages despite claims people have made to the contrary. OLC is a part of an entire branch of MUDs starting with ROM, and also found its way into GodWars, Dystopia etc .. not to mention other MUD softwares and individual server copies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
are screwed from the start because YOU have violated the Diku license
I never violated the Diku license, I merely interpreted it differently and I was not the only one who interpreted differently in the same way that it became interpreted by me. You have decided to single out those people and for that reason you should be ashamed because the destructive nature of ostracizing or marginalizing people and their work is as unethical as the claims you are purportedly making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
There's a big difference there.
Pot calls kettle black = same diff dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Your narcissism is blinding you to the reality that Kavir doesn't have cronies supporting him;
He most certain does as you are one of those. So are others on MUD Connect, I know who you are -- you are the voices of maybe a half dozen people -- a gang of bullies, a den of trolls - and perhaps a sockpuppet or two thrown in. That does not describe the "entire mud community" nor even a great percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
He has taken the ethical position
Well, I just caught him in a lie like 10 minutes ago. IS lying ethical? A question you should ask yourself as you spread more and more lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
thus the community has supported his position
6 people I would say support KaVir, 2 of which are his other personalities or psuedonyms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
because he's right. The reason no one comes to your defense is because you're wrong, you're a thief and you're also too conceited, arrogant and self-absorbed to realize it.
You've just ignored the people who have come to my defense. You know the truth is that people come to me on my mud all the time to talk about their code etc and about these issues. They don't like KaVir, and they don't post here or on TMC because it's always you guys coming to bully people. I looked at some of the other threads that Craytylus and Macademus were posting on on TMC, and it seems like they pick their targets and bully up MUDders all the time, insulting them and writing insults and being snobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Your argument is flawed from the start because it's not based on reality.
The same could be said of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
You are claiming credit for other people's work in violation of the license agreement that you accepted by use of their work.
Not at all. Their copyright notices have always appeared in their files, and their credits have always appeared in the help files, excepting the "credits" command for a period because that was OK before and now you losers are going around deleting things because you've taken it upon yourselves to do that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Regardless of how much of the Diku code you originally used remains, once you decided to use their code you were subject to their license.
There is a marked difference between taking a short piece of code and leaving their copyright notices in it, and being forced to prominently credit them because you're using their software as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Even replacing ALL of their code still holds you responsible to credit them for their work from which you have built off.
Makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
There is no defense for your actions as they're motivated by both your desire to take credit for other people's work
Not at all. Nope, I've always credited them in at least one spot in every single release I've made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Your lack of intelligence
Doubtful. See, this is where you begin to become predatory and a bully in the most obvious way. You resort to personal attacks, instead of focusing on the key issues. It's too bad you're unable to communicate in any more sophisticated ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
which is preventing you from understanding your delusional exaggeration of your own self-worth.
A free game has little to do with one's self-worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
Your description of Kavir is so laughable because you've decribed yourself.
Well, perhaps we're all a little like each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515 View Post
You're an egotistical narcissist who can't accept that you're a small fish, a nobody, a never-was and a never-will-be. You're the one desperate to try and portray himself as something he's not and scared of competition or anyone who questions your self-esteem. In short, you're a deluded fool and a thief.
How mature. The thousands of people who have used my software are a testament to the opposite.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke View Post
A complete lie, I claimed less than 10% and proved it was probably more like 7% with this document: http://nimud.divineright.org/NIMUDAnatomy.pdf
This is what you said on TMC:

"Any new code that is a part of NiMUD today -- that is to say versions released after the AL 2.0 was introduced -- the modifications and additions -- and ultimately, a near-complete rewrite, means that a substantial portion of the NIMUD code (more than 90%) is original work. DIKUMUD source code length: about 20,000 lines .. NiMUD source code length: greater than 80,000 lines .. lines found to directly match between MERC/DIKU and NIMUD: very few - less than 10% similarity .. giving rise to the argument that whatever appears inside NIMUD that retains resemblance to DIKUMUD is "Fair use""

You claimed around 90% of the 80,000 lines are original work, and the other 10% "directly match" DikuMUD. That means around 8,000 lines of NiMUD "directly match" Diku - and you've further stated that Diku is 20,000 lines. Based on those estimates, around 40% of the Diku code has been copied verbatim into NiMUD, with the remaining 60% having presumably been modified in some way.

You're now claiming that by "less than 10%" you actually meant 7%. 7% of 80,000 would mean that 5,600 lines of NiMUD "directly match" Diku. That means 28% of the original Diku code has been copied verbatim into NiMUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke View Post
Like I said before, this is an example where he's spreading FUD. NiMUD has no stock areas and is 80000 lines of unique, complex gameplay.
Actually you just said that that 7% of it "directly matched" Diku (and you claim I'm the one lying?). That means over a quarter of the stock Diku code still exists within NiMUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke View Post
Then, he went on to plug his own project. Obviously Kavir takes his sense of fair play from British Petroleum.
And my sense of time-travel, apparently. I plugged my project a week ago, and "British Petroleum" ceased to exist over a decade ago (it lost the name when it merged with Amoco).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke View Post
It's not theft to claim one's work as one's own.
Only there's no proof that it is your work. Your claim is as unsubstantiated as your claim to have invented YouTube.

Quote:
Not true. I've never completely stripped their names from any version of NiMUD, The Isles, etc.
You've attempted to claim that "your" code is not a derivitive. Either it is or it isn't.

Quote:
Part of copyright law provides "Fair Use"...
You're not meeting the qualifications of "Fair Use". You're attempting to circumvent a license that you entered into when you used the code in the beginning.

Quote:
Yes, and by doing so you burned Alexandria. Aren't you just a bit liberal with your delete key, fascist?
We're banning plagarism. The legitimate code is completely welcome. Your plagarized and miscredited work is not. By not banning your code it would be like a library shelving a copy of Tom Sawyer photocopied by someone who changed the title page to read "By Joe Nobody".

You also don't appear to have a very good vocabulary. It's not fascism to remove and not recognize stolen work from a collection. It's respecting the work of the original authors. You've been shown to be an unrepentant thief. It does no harm to the spread of knowledge to ignore stolen work nor does it constitute oppression to do so.

Quote:
Whatever, man. It's a double standard and you're the hypocrite in charge.
"Whatever" is the argumentative equivalent of admitting the other person's point is valid and that you can't make any argument against it.

It's not a double standard because Kavir can not be held responsible for the actions of others once the code is out of his hands. In your case, however, the offense began before others used the code. They can make amends by properly modifying the credits to reflect the actual lineage but in no way does that absolve you of the offense.

Quote:
Despite your attempt to create a rumor as such, I've noticed my code is in a lot of MUDs these days -- a snippet here, a snippet there -- Newt's contributory NiMUD combat system, for one, has found its way into dozens of servers. Also, there are other popular snippets including a derived NiMUD money system, which have found their way around. OF COURSE, our OLC is was and has always been a very popular OLC and one of the first complete OLC packages despite claims people have made to the contrary. OLC is a part of an entire branch of MUDs starting with ROM, and also found its way into GodWars, Dystopia etc .. not to mention other MUD softwares and individual server copies.
You're crediting yourself with other people's work. There is no more proof that you invented OLC than there is that you invented YouTube, the internet, oxygen or gravity.

Quote:
I never violated the Diku license, I merely interpreted it differently and I was not the only one who interpreted differently in the same way that it became interpreted by me. You have decided to single out those people...
You did violate the Diku license. It's not your right to interpret their license to your desire. The reason other people haven't been singled out for similar violations is because they have the good sense not to make an ass of themselves trying to claim that they didn't.

Quote:
Pot calls kettle black = same diff dude
It's not the same and if you were intelligent and not narcissistically close-minded then you'd realize the difference.

Quote:
He most certain does as you are one of those. So are others on MUD Connect, I know who you are -- you are the voices of maybe a half dozen people -- a gang of bullies, a den of trolls - and perhaps a sockpuppet or two thrown in. That does not describe the "entire mud community" nor even a great percentage.
I have yet to meet anyone who, upon hearing your arguments, has agreed with you.

A clear sign of a narcissist is the paranoid belief that anyone who can find flaws in their arguments must be part of a conspiracy to discredit them. You are a textbook example.

Quote:
Well, I just caught him in a lie like 10 minutes ago. IS lying ethical?
Prove this lie. Show us this example. Simply claiming to catch someone in a lie is a lame tactic.

Lying isn't ethical whether it's about creating a codebase, OLC or YouTube. If you didn't create it, claiming otherwise is a lie.

Quote:
6 people I would say support KaVir, 2 of which are his other personalities or psuedonyms.
Far more than six support the same position as Kavir. The RPMUD Network's Operating Committee supported his position 5-0 and I'm the only one of those five that has posted here. In the past, your bull**** threads have produced far more who have supported the same position as Kavir. One need only go back through the forums to see.

Furthermore, Kavir has never been shy about standing on his own with or without support. His identity is well-known in the community. You, on the other hand, have no such reputation. All you are known for is being a thief, a liar and an unjustifiable egomaniac.

Quote:
You've just ignored the people who have come to my defense.
No one who has demonstrated any understanding of the issue has come to your defense. They, like you, have been unable to provide any legitimate argument to support your position and actions. Relying on self-serving arguments that are not backed by legitimate evidence does not strengthen your position no matter how many equally-unethical people might agree with you.

Quote:
You know the truth is that people come to me on my mud all the time to talk about their code etc and about these issues.
They also probably share your lack of intelligence and ethics. Two racists agreeing that they think whites are mentally superior doesn't make them right. Two thieves agreeing that stealing isn't wrong doesn't make it legal. You and any unethical moron agreeing is no different.

Quote:
They don't like KaVir...
Irrelevant. The popularity of Kavir does not invalidate his arguments nor do the actions of Cratylus or anyone else validate your position.

Quote:
The same could be said of you.
Except of course that I'm not the one making unsubstantiated claims about the origins of my code ir unethically attempting to give myself credit for other people's work.

Quote:
Not at all. Their copyright notices have always appeared in their files, and their credits have always appeared in the help files, excepting the "credits" command for a period because that was OK before and now you losers are going around deleting things because you've taken it upon yourselves to do that sort of thing.
You don't have the right to enforce exceptions when it comes to other people's licenses nor do you have the right to attempt to belittle their work by over-emphasizing your own. You're required to acknowledge the people upon whose work you've expanded. Additional commentary is unethical especially when the intent is to diminish the credit given.

Quote:
There is a marked difference between taking a short piece of code and leaving their copyright notices in it, and being forced to prominently credit them because you're using their software as a whole.
Use of that "short piece of code" required adhering to the license. If you didn't want to credit them, you should not have used it. You made the choice to use it and thus by doing so agreed to the terms of use.

Quote:
Makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense. By use of their code, you agreed to their license requirements. From that point forward, anything built off of that work is subject to those same requirements. That's why people scratch-build their code and don't simply work off the code of others. You did not choose to do that and thus you are bound by the decision you made.

Quote:
Doubtful. See, this is where you begin to become predatory and a bully in the most obvious way.
It's an observation based on your inability to comprehend.

Quote:
A free game has little to do with one's self-worth.
Of course it does. We base our self-worth on our perception of ourself and anything we do. Self-worth does not have to refer to financial possessions hence noting a game is "free" is irrelevant. Perhaps I could have used the term "self image" instead though since you appear to be confused over the phrase "self-worth".

Quote:
Well, perhaps we're all a little like each other.
I'm referring to your narcissistic tendency to transfer your own behavior to your perception of others. Instead of recognizing your own failings, you attempt to cite them in those whom you view as opposing you. Instead of admitting wrong, you claim to be a victim because to do otherwise would shatter your concept of yourself.

Quote:
The thousands of people who have used my software are a testament to the opposite.
And which software is that? YouTube? Sim City? Someone else's work that you claim to have created? Oh wait, was it the internet itself? I've lost track of all the things you claim to have created which conveniently your name is in no way associated with whatsoever.

Last edited by prof1515 : 07-27-2010 at 11:10 AM.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
MudMann
Member
 
MudMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
Posts: 178
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Locke.. as a developer, how do you get any work done when you insist on engaging in these long winded arguments which you never win, and ends up with not one single person supporting you in any way shape or form.

You are destroying / have destroyed your credibility, and making 100% sure that noone who frequents either this forum, or TMC respects anything you do, not that I have ever seen one single voice of support anyway.

Was the fact that you received only 1 donation on your 'empire of the sky' donator page enough to say to you 'this community is not interested in anything you say or do'

I dont mean this as an attack, just a statement of fact. There is no way it can be healthy or even remotly rewarding to constantly get this tirade of abuse. You are fast becoming the MUD equivalent of Dereck Smart who would claim he invented the wheel if he could.

Move on to where you will get the respect you crave, and yes, may even deserve.. but coming back here for a dose of abuse every month or so is bordering on masochism.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #17
Milawe
Senior Member
 
Milawe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Posts: 653
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

I orginally wasn't going to post in this thread, but I really can't stomach the thought of accusing everyone who doesn't agree as a "supporter" of KaVir.

KaVir has made it pretty clear that he doesn't like most of the games that I work on or the personalities involved in most of my games, but he has never "bullied" us in any way. He also was the person who found us to be in violation of TMS and TMC voting policies which were resolved. If he were a bully, he could constantly bring this up and drag our name through the mud regardless of whether or not it was an honest mistake or not. Once we remedied our voting policies on our games, it has never been brought up again. And in fact, we've taken a break from voting as a result of our own mistake, not because anyone requested it. That's what you do when you respect the policies put in place on the sites in which you decide to participate.

I find it pretty hard to call him a "bully", and I find myself really calling himself an "enforcer". People who break the rules never like it when they're called to task, but you either rectify your mistakes, reform, or keep on doing what you're doing and disregard the policies in place. You really reap what you sow, honestly, and if people call you to task for it, it doesn't mean that they're bullies. It could very well mean that you're treading on established policies, and people are taking you to task for it.

Bullies try to make you comply to their will for personal gain. Enforcers really just try to make sure the rules are followed. I really don't see where KaVir or Prof have any personal gain in this.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
Milawe
Senior Member
 
Milawe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Posts: 653
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

P.S. I like the random capitalization in Kavir's name, though. Makes it look cool. kAviR KaViR
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
Samson
Member
 
Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: United Socialist States of America
Home MUD: SmaugMuds.org
Home MUD: Arthmoor MUD Hosting
Posts: 249
Samson is on a distinguished road
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Oh, it's not August yet. Locke started early this year.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #20
scandum
Senior Member
 
scandum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 309
scandum will become famous soon enough
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

Locke, I think you might be more convincing if you create a Youtube video to argue your case, and I would be very disappointed if KaVir wouldn't man up and face the challenge for a real tube to tube rebuttal, and create a video in return.

It's time for us mudders to emerge from the shadows of our murky little forums.. to fight our mighty battles of word and wit for the entire world to see.. in all their splendorous glory!!
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014