Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Nardua

Nardua is on a distinguished road
Seeking a MUD

Hello! I've been a long-time player of Achaea, and I think its time for me to branch out a bit. I'm seeking a MUD with a good to large amount of players that also has a pretty extensive lore as well, as I'm interested in role-playing more seriously. Combat is not so important, but it can be included as well. Thanks, all!

Nardua.
Nardua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
rendekar

rendekar is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking a MUD

you should try roleplay intensive muds;

Armageddonmud

*extensive crafting
*some of the best roleplayers
*averaging 30-50 players online

the Inquisition: Legacy

*dark atmosphere
*characters increase their skill with roleplay rewards from the staff
*15-25 players online but easy to find them in game...

or maybe a completely different experience like Firanmux

*greco-roman setting
*pregenerated characters for the lazy.
*50-150 players online at any time.
rendekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hello Nardua! If you are seeking good roleplay (enforced) and extenvise lore with or without combat New Worlds Ateraan is likely the place to go. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Very large community of players (Over 100 players constantly).
2. Staff and Guides to assist you in your creation and with plotlines and storyline.
3. Rich roleplay environment with nice history on guilds, races, politics, and religion.
4. Based on a book you can read online for an even more in depth and broad look at the world.
5. Large events to interact with other players.
6. Large variety of guilds and jobs. You can play a merchant or trader that deals nearly entirely in roleplay and creation without having to involve yourself in combat if you don't want to.
7. Commerce, adventure, intrique, politics, singular and group quests.
8. Incridble ships where you can deep sea fish, whale, hunt pirates, battle other player ships, quest, visit islands and other lands.
9. Houses, mansions, and even castles with servants, guards, storage, creatable rooms, and multiple features.
10. Numerous types of pets, guardians, and familiars to accompany you.

I highly suggest you start in the Northern Kingdom where you will be an immigrant and obtain assistance from other players as they tour you and work with you. Just make sure you choose that option.

Good Luck and have fun!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
ForgottenMUD

Home MUD: ForgottenMUD
Home MUD: Bedlam
ForgottenMUD is on a distinguished road

Is it a random book, or one written by you? I checked your website but couldn't find the author name. Also, I got a 404 error for the comic book page.
ForgottenMUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
js_wilson

Name: Sean
Home MUD: Aardwolf
js_wilson is on a distinguished road

I can't even find the link to "The Light of the Path"
js_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

I didn't see any link to the book, but a google search returned the Light ON the path (not of), by Mabel Collins. The only reference to the Light OF the path came from the Aateran website, with some goofy references to the bible about the path of righteousness.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

It's a little hard to find. Click on the how to play link, then scroll all the way to the bottom. Then click on the picture of the book.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Jazuela

That brings up what appears to be a really REALLY long .txt file, with no pagination at all, paragraphs that lack paragraph spacing so it all runs together with oversized indents. It's not even an e-book. It's just a text file. And what's worse - there's no author mentioned, so there's no way of knowing who wrote the thing.

It doesn't mention who published it, where to find copies of it, or if Newworlds (the TMS member, not the game) wrote the thing himself just so he could claim his game was based on a book?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
ForgottenMUD

Last edited by ForgottenMUD : 05-10-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Jazuela

Perhaps you worded it awkwardly but as I'm reading what you posted, it seems that the graphic isn't uncredited. It's incorrectly credited. It IS credited - it's credited to New Worlds Ateraan, and even copyrighted by New Worlds Ateraan, and even given its own title - Jempekian Desert Towne.

So not only is it credited falsely, its actual title was stripped and replaced with something else. If that is the case, I'd like to see that corrected by New Worlds Ateraan. If it isn't the case, perhaps an explanation will clear it up.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
ForgottenMUD

Last edited by ForgottenMUD : 05-11-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
Orrin

Name: Matt
Orrin is on a distinguished road

Having read it I can understand why the author would wish to remain anonymous.
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

Copyrights are pretty serious business. And crediting the author isn't the issue.

Popular misconception about giving credit. It is NOT okay to copy and use an image created or owned by another author, even if you credit the author when you do it, admit to copying the image, and tell people where you got it (except for very rare excepions involving fair use that wouldn't apply to filching existing images and putting them on your own mud's website, for varoius reasons). It is NOT okay to copy and use an image created or owned by another author, even if you don't make any money off of the image. It's even worse for you if you do make money, and/or if you wrongly claim personal authorship of the work, but giving credit to the real author and making strictly non-commercial use of the work doesn't protect you.

If you don't have the copyright owner's permission when you copy their creative work, you're infringing the copyright. If you're caught and someone brings suit, that can potentially be serious money. The reason nobody heavily polices personal websites (like those of hobbyiest mud owners) is because they don't have much money. There's no money in suing somebody who can't pay you. But there are companies out there that use webcrawlers to search the internet and find images being used without permission, that will send you angry letters demanding payment for use of the image, under threat of suit. (They'll also contact your web provider and have your website or various images taken down.) They can win a lawsuit against you, pretty easily, even if you properly credit the author and don't make any money from the image.

Stop stealing from the internet. It's not free to use just because you found it on some website.

Last edited by SnowTroll : 05-11-2013 at 02:20 PM.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
Verbannon

Home MUD: Shadowgate
Verbannon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Verbannon

What do you mean by a 'good amount of payers'?
Verbannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #15
Errigour

Errigour is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Seeking a MUD

I am gonna make a post about a mud I play necromium.com port 4000 check it out you can store equipment and mail equipment to other characters you can purcahse houses and clans its got a multi class system and its pretty straight forward.
Errigour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
ShaLeah

Home MUD: Armageddon MUD
ShaLeah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ShaLeah

If you want roleplay intensive, try .
Read the docs, it'll help.
ShaLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #17
Elriic

Elriic is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Seeking a MUD

Good morning, I would strongly recommend that you take a peak at .

I've been a player on and off in Dragonrealms since its inception on the GEnie service, through its being available on AOL, and through it's conversion to a purely web based game.

Some of the better features of Dragonrealms:

- Its over 18 years old with huge story arcs which reach back throughout game history and lore as well as constantly evolving stories you can be as much or as little involved in. Including some pretty epic wars over the long years of the game's life.

- A staff of developers and events GameMasters whom are all former players of the game themselves and are highly invested in seeing the game become successful due to their own ties with the player community.

- A completely custom and extremely powerful gaming engine. This isn't based on some software package that's been modified. It was built by the company and is maintained by the company exclusively for their use with a proprietary programming language that gives its developers pretty much unlimited flexibility. If they can think of it, they can develop it.

- Enforced Role Playing. You won't find guys randomly talking about what's on TV in this game. People are encouraged and are motivated to stay in character. And again, the lore is so rich, and heavily developed both by the players and by the staff is not hard to do.

- During prime time, (and this isn't an exaggeration) there are hundreds of players online at once in the game. Checking out DR does not mean you are that lone action figure in the middle of your living room. A good portion of the player base has been playing for over a decade or more. Hell, I'm one of the original players myself.

- A heavily developed crafting system. The beauty of this game in my opinion has always been that the best gear in the game is stuff created by players themselves. Already very complex and powerful forging, engineering, and outfitting societies are available, with alchemy and enchanting societies under development for release this year.

- Ten different classes, Ten different races, again with their own rich lore and language and cultures. The classes are balanced, and the PVE and PVP environments are fantastically well controlled and blended. If you never want to fight another player you don't have to. If you do, there are avenues for you to do so. The GameMaster staff has always taken very serious measures to prevent griefing.

- Huge festivals, big parties, player organized orders, militias, and more!

- Custom developed User interfaces created both by the company (Simutronics) and by players themselves give you the opportunity to make the game feel like whatever you want it to.

There's really so much to experience. If you want to play a text based game, your imagination hasn't atrophied or rotted away yet, or you're new to the whole experience, come visit today!
Elriic is offline   Reply With Quote